1982 PGA Championship
|Dates||August 5–8, 1982|
|Course(s)||Southern Hills Country Club|
|Length||6,862 yards (6,275 m)|
|Field||150 players, 74 after cut|
The 1982 PGA Championship was the 64th PGA Championship, held August 5–8 at Southern Hills Country Club in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Raymond Floyd won his second PGA Championship, three strokes ahead of runner-up Lanny Wadkins, the 1977 champion. A few weeks shy of age 40, Floyd shot an opening round 63 (–7) and led wire-to-wire to secure the third of his four major titles. He won his first PGA Championship thirteen years earlier, in 1969.
Temperatures exceeded 100 °F (38 °C) during the first two rounds and after a third round 68 (–2), Floyd was at 200 (–10), five shots ahead of Greg Norman and Jay Haas. At the end of a lackluster final round, Floyd had an opportunity to break the PGA's 72-hole record of 271, set 18 years earlier by Bobby Nichols in 1964, but double-bogeyed the final hole. The record lasted a dozen more years, until broken by Nick Price in 1994.
The winner's share of $65,000 was the last in five figures at the PGA Championship. It rose over 50% to $100,000 the following year and to $125,000 in 1984, nearly doubling in just two years.
This was the fourth major for Southern Hills, which previously hosted the PGA Championship in 1970 and the U.S. Open in 1958 and 1977. The PGA Championship returned in 1994 and 2007 and the U.S. Open in 2001.
Past champions in the field
Made the cut
|Player||Country||Year(s) won||R1||R2||R3||R4||Total||To par||Finish|
|Raymond Floyd||United States||1969||63||69||68||72||272||–8||1|
|Lanny Wadkins||United States||1977||71||68||69||67||275||–5||2|
|Jack Nicklaus||United States||1963, 1971,
1973 1975, 1980
|Bobby Nichols||United States||1964||73||69||74||71||287||+7||T34|
|John Mahaffey||United States||1978||74||70||72||72||288||+8||T42|
Missed the cut
|Player||Country||Year(s) won||R1||R2||Total||To par|
|Dave Stockton||United States||1970, 1976||73||73||146||+6|
|Gary Player||South Africa||1962, 1972||76||70||146||+6|
|Don January||United States||1967||73||73||146||+6|
|Larry Nelson||United States||1981||74||75||149||+9|
|Al Geiberger||United States||1966||75||75||150||+10|
Sunday, August 8, 1982
|Place||Player||Country||Score||To par||Money ($)|
|1||Raymond Floyd||United States||63-69-68-72=272||–8||65,000|
|2||Lanny Wadkins||United States||71-68-69-67=275||–5||45,000|
|T3||Fred Couples||United States||67-71-72-66=276||–4||27,500|
|Calvin Peete||United States||69-70-68-69=276|
|T5||Jay Haas||United States||71-66-68-72=277||–3||16,000|
|Jim Simons||United States||68-67-73-69=277|
|8||Bob Gilder||United States||66-68-72-72=278||–2||11,000|
|T9||Lon Hinkle||United States||70-68-71-71=280||E||7,919|
|Tom Kite||United States||73-70-70-67=280|
|Jerry Pate||United States||72-69-70-69=280|
|Tom Watson||United States||72-69-71-68=280|
Cumulative tournament scores, relative to par
- "Tournament Info for: 1982 PGA Championship". PGA of America. Retrieved September 18, 2012.
- Pomerantz, Gary (August 9, 1982). "When Floyd talks, he listens". Toledo Blade. p. 15. Retrieved May 15, 2013.
- Jenkins, Dan (August 16, 1982). "He beat the heat by catching fire". Sports Illustrated: 26. Retrieved May 15, 2013.
- "Floyd wins 2nd PGA title". Milwaukee Sentinel. UPI. August 9, 1982. p. 1-part 2.
- "Floyd charges to five-shot lead in PGA". Toledo Blade. Associated Press. August 8, 1982. p. sec D. Retrieved May 15, 2013.
- Parascenzo, Marino (August 9, 1982). "Floyd survives final round to win PGA". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. p. 13.
- "1982 PGA Championship". databasegolf.com. Retrieved August 21, 2013.
- Pomerantz, Gary (August 9, 1982). "Winning Floyd shows he can't lose his cool". Milwaukee Journal. (Washington Post). p. 1-part 3.
- About.com: 1982 PGA Championship
- PGA.com – 1982 PGA Championship
- Yahoo! Sports: 1982 PGA Championship leaderboard
1982 Open Championship
|Major Championships||Succeeded by