1982 San Diego Padres season
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|1982 San Diego Padres
|Major league affiliations|
(Dave Campbell, Jerry Coleman, Ted Leitner, Bob Chandler)
|Local radio||KFMB (AM)
(Dave Campbell, Jerry Coleman, Bob Chandler)
(Gustavo Lopez, Mario Thomas Zapiain)
|Previous season Next season|
- December 10, 1981: Ozzie Smith, Steve Mura and a player to be named later were traded by the Padres to the St. Louis Cardinals for Sixto Lezcano, Garry Templeton and a player to be named later.
- January 27, 1982: Craig Stimac was purchased from the Padres by the Cleveland Indians.
- February 19, 1982: The Padres and Cardinals completed their December 10 deal, with the Padres sending Al Olmsted to the Cardinals and the Cardinals sending Luis DeLeón to the Padres.
- February 22, 1982: Barry Evans was purchased from the Padres by the New York Yankees.
- February 25, 1982: John Littlefield was released by the Padres.
Regular season 
- In 1982, Sixto Lezcano became the only player to hit grand slams on two different opening day games. He hit the first grand slam in 1980.
- July 19, 1982: Tony Gwynn made his Major League Baseball debut. In a 7-6 loss to the Philadelphia Phillies, Gwynn had four at-bats with two hits, one run scored, and one RBI.
Season standings 
|Los Angeles Dodgers||88||74||1.0||.543|
|San Francisco Giants||87||75||2.0||.537|
|San Diego Padres||81||81||8.0||.500|
Opening Day starters 
- Juan Bonilla
- Juan Eichelberger
- Ruppert Jones
- Terry Kennedy
- Sixto Lezcano
- Broderick Perkins
- Gene Richards
- Luis Salazar
- Garry Templeton
Notable transactions 
- May 22, 1982: Kim Seaman was traded by the Padres to the Montreal Expos for Jerry Manuel.
- June 7, 1982: Mark Wasinger was drafted by the Padres in the 3rd round of the 1982 Major League Baseball Draft.
- June 8, 1982: Danny Boone was traded by the Padres to the Houston Astros for Joe Pittman.
- June 8, 1982: Jerry Manuel was traded by the Padres to the Montreal Expos for a player to be named later. The Expos completed the deal by sending Mike Griffin to the Padres on August 30.
- September 1, 1982: Benito Santiago was signed by the Padres as an amateur free agent.
|1982 San Diego Padres|
Player stats 
Starters by position 
Note: Pos = Position; G = Games played; AB = At Bats; H = Hits; Avg. = Batting Average; HR = Home Runs; RBI = Runs Batted In
Other batters 
Starting pitchers 
Other pitchers 
Relief pitchers 
Award winners 
- Ruppert Jones, Reserve
Farm system 
- Ozzie Smith page at Baseball Reference
- Craig Stimac page at Baseball Reference
- Al Olmstead page at Baseball Reference
- Barry Evans page at Baseball Reference
- John Littlefield page at Baseball Reference
- SI.com - Statitudes - Statitudes: Opening Day 2002, By the Numbers - Sunday March 30, 2003 01:50 AM
- 1982 San Diego Padres Roster by Baseball Almanac
- Jerry Manuel page at Baseball Reference
- Mark Wasinger page at Baseball Reference
- Danny Boone page at Baseball Reference
- Benito Santiago page at Baseball Reference
- Johnson, Lloyd, and Wolff, Miles, ed., The Encyclopedia of Minor League Baseball, 2nd and 3rd editions. Durham, N.C.: Baseball America, 1997 and 2007
- 1982 San Diego Padres team page at Baseball Reference
- 1982 San Diego Padres team page at Baseball Almanac