1982 San Francisco Giants season
|1982 San Francisco Giants
|Major league affiliations|
|General manager(s)||Tom Haller|
(Hank Greenwald, Gary Park)
(Hank Greenwald, David Glass)
(Tito Fuentes, Enrique Bolanos, Carlos Rivera)
|Previous season Next season|
The1982 San Francisco Giants season was the franchise's 100th season and 25th season in San Francisco.
- December 9, 1981: Larry Herndon was traded by the Giants to the Detroit Tigers for Dan Schatzeder and Mike Chris.
- December 11, 1981: Jerry Martin was traded by the Giants to the Kansas City Royals for Rich Gale and Bill Laskey.
- February 18, 1982: Dennis Littlejohn was traded by the Giants to the Kansas City Royals for Jeff Cornell.
- March 4, 1982: Enos Cabell and cash was traded by the Giants to the Detroit Tigers for Champ Summers.
- March 30, 1982: Vida Blue and Bob Tufts were traded by the Giants to the Kansas City Royals for Renie Martin, Craig Chamberlain, Atlee Hammaker, and Brad Wellman.
- March 30, 1982: Doyle Alexander was traded by the Giants to the New York Yankees for Andy McGaffigan and Ted Wilborn.
Regular season 
- In 1982, the Los Angeles Dodgers and San Francisco Giants were tied for 2nd, one game behind the Atlanta Braves as they faced each other in the final 3 games of the year. The Dodgers won the first two games 4-0 on Friday and 15-4 on Saturday to eliminate the Giants, then the Giants knocked the Dodgers out of the pennant race on the season's last day on an 8th inning three run homer by Joe Morgan, winning the game 5-3. Thus, the Braves finished 1st by one game. The Giants were 48-52 and 14 games behind the Braves on July 30 but they finished the season with a 39-23 run that put them back in the thick of things.
Opening Day starters 
- Jack Clark
- Chili Davis
- Darrell Evans
- Al Holland
- Johnnie LeMaster
- Jeffrey Leonard
- Milt May
- Joe Morgan
- Reggie Smith 
Season standings 
|Los Angeles Dodgers||88||74||1.0||.543|
|San Francisco Giants||87||75||2.0||.537|
|San Diego Padres||81||81||8.0||.500|
Notable transactions 
- June 7, 1982: 1982 Major League Baseball Draft
- June 14, 1982: Pat Larkin was signed as an amateur free agent by the Giants.
- June 15, 1982: Dan Schatzeder was purchased from the Giants by the Montreal Expos.
|1982 San Francisco Giants|
Player stats 
|= Indicates team leader|
Starters by position 
Note: Pos = position; G = Games played; AB = At Bats; R = Runs; H = Hits; 2B = Doubles; 3B = Triples; HR = Home Runs; RBI = Runs Batted In; Avg. = Batting Average; SB = Stolen Bases
Other batters 
Starting pitchers 
Note: G = Games played; IP = Innings Pitched; W = Wins;L = Losses; ERA = Earned Run Average; SO = Strikeouts; BB = Bases on Balls; CG = Complete Games
Other pitchers 
Relief pitchers 
Awards and honors 
Farm system 
- Dan Schatzeder page at Baseball Reference
- Jerry Martin page at Baseball Reference
- Dennis Littlejohn page at Baseball Reference
- Champ Summers page at Baseball Reference
- Vida Blue page at Baseball Reference
- Doyle Alexander page at Baseball Reference
- 1982 San Francisco Giants Roster by Baseball Almanac
- Steve Stanicek page at Baseball Reference
- Barry Bonds page at Baseball Reference
- Pat Larkin page at Baseball Reference
- 1982 San Francisco Giants team page at Baseball Reference
- 1982 San Francisco Giants team page at Baseball Almanac