1983 Australian Sports Car Championship
The 1983 Australian Sports Car Championship was a CAMS sanctioned motor racing title for drivers of Group A Sports Cars. The championship, which was the fifteenth Australian Sports Car Championship, was contested over a five round series with two races per round.
Peter Hopwood, driving the Steve Webb owned Kaditcha Chevrolet, won the championship from the Rennmax Ford of Ray Hanger. Defending series champion Chris Clearihan finished third in his older model Kaditcha Chevrolet.
The 1983 championship saw the debut of the Bap Romano owned and driven Kaditcha K583 Cosworth, the first Australian Group A Sports Car built with a closed top and Ground effects aerodynamics. The K583 would prove to be the fastest car in the field in 1983, and would compete in Class B as the Cosworth V8 was a 3.0 litre engine. However, unreliability saw Romano only finish sixth in the championship.
- Round 1, Sandown Park, Victoria, 20 February
- Round 2, Adelaide International Raceway, South Australia, 1 May
- Round 3, Oran Park, New South Wales, 29 May
- Round 4, Lakeside, Queensland, 23 July
- Round 5, Winton, Victoria, 14 August
Cars were classified into three classes based on engine displacement.
- Class A : Up to 1.6 litres
- Class B : 1.6 to 3 litres
- Class C : Over 3 litres
Points were allocated for outright placings gained in each race with Scale A used for drivers of Class A cars, Scale B for drivers of Class B cars and Scale C for drivers of Class C cars.
A driver's points from both races at each round were aggregated and the result divided by two to arrive at the championship points allocation for the driver at that round.
|Position ||Driver ||No.||Car||Entrant||Class ||R1||R2||R3||R4||R5||Total |
|1||Peter Hopwood||22||Kaditcha Chevrolet||Steve Webb||C||25||24||24||-||23||96|
|2||Ray Hanger||24||Rennmax Ford||Ray Hanger||A||20||-||21½||25½||22½||89½|
|3||Chris Clearihan||1||Kaditcha Chevrolet||Canberra Sports Car Club||C||11½||20||21½||25||6½||84½|
|4||Carl Gibson||11||Rennmax Repco||Carl Gibson||B||6½||11½||10½||-||21½||50|
|5||Bernie Van Elsen||14||Bolwell Nagari||Bernie Van Elsen||C||17½||13||13||-||-||43½|
|6||Bap Romano||8||Kaditcha K583 Cosworth||Kaditcha Factory Racing Team||B||-||14||-||-||28||42|
|7||Robert Pitman||U2 Clubman||A||14||-||-||-||14½||28½|
|8||Paul Scott||6||Kaditcha Cosworth Vega||Pool Fab||B||-||11½||-||13||-||24½|
|Johnnie Walker||83||Elfin ME5 Chevrolet||Elfin Sports Cars||C||21½||-||-||-||-||21½|
Note: The above table lists only the top ten pointscorers.
- CAMS Manual of Motor Sport, 1983, pages 91-94
- Australian Titles Retrieved from www.camsmanual.com.au on 13 July 2009. Archived 2009-07-22.
- Australian Motor Racing Yearbook, 1983/84, pages 242-253
- Official Programme, Adelaide International Raceway, Sunday, 1 May 1983
- 1983 Australian Sports Car racing images Retrieved from www.autopics.com.au on 13 July 2009