The Senior men's race at the 1983 IAAF World Cross Country Championships was held in Gateshead, England, at the Riverside Park on March 20, 1983. A report on the event was given in the Glasgow Herald and in the Evening Times.
Complete results, medallists,  and the results of British athletes were published.
Senior men's race (11.994 km)
- Note: Athletes in parentheses did not score for the team result
An unofficial count yields the participation of 213 athletes from 31 countries in the senior men's race, one athlete less than the official number published.
- ^ Gillon, Doug (March 21, 1933), Men from the mountains clean up - A glimpse into the seemingly bottomless well of talented distance runners in Ethiopia was given at Gateshead yesterday, when the men from the mountains swept the boards in the world cross country championships..., Glasgow Herald, p. 18, retrieved October 21, 2013
- ^ Bekele's bombshell - Seeing 20-year-old Ethiopian soldier Bekele Debele win the world cross-country title by beating such stars as Alberto Salazar, and Carlos Lopes it was almost impossible to believe he took up running seriously only a year ago..., Evening Times, March 21, 1933, p. 12, retrieved October 21, 2013
- ^ Magnusson, Tomas (March 24, 2007), IAAF World Cross Country Championships - 12.0km CC Men - Gateshead Riverside Park Date: Sunday, March 20, 1983, Athchamps (archived), retrieved October 21, 2013
- ^ IAAF WORLD CROSS COUNTRY CHAMPIONSHIPS, Athletics Weekly, retrieved October 9, 2013
- ^ a b 36th IAAF WORLD CROSS COUNTRY CHAMPIONSHIPS - EDINBURGH 2008 - FACTS & FIGURES - GREAT BRITAIN & NORTHERN IRELAND AT THE INTERNATIONAL CROSS COUNTRY & WORLD CROSS COUNTRY CHAMPIONSHIPS (PDF), IAAF, p. 2ff, retrieved October 9, 2013