1983 World 600
||An automated process has detected links on this page on the local or global blacklist.|
|Race 12 of 30 in the 1983 NASCAR Winston Cup Series season|
Charlotte Motor Speedway
|Date||May 29, 1983|
|Location||Charlotte Motor Speedway (Concord, North Carolina)|
|Course||Permanent racing facility
1.500 mi (2.414 km)
|Distance||400 laps, 600 mi (965 km)|
|Weather||Partly cloudy with a high around 80.1 °F (26.7 °C); wind out of the ESE at 7.48 miles per hour (12.04 km/h)|
|Average speed||140.707 miles per hour (226.446 km/h)|
|Driver||Buddy Baker||Wood Brothers|
|Most laps led|
|Television in the United States|
This event took four hours, fifteen minutes, and fifty-one seconds to complete. Five cautions were waved for twenty-eight laps. Neil Bonnett defeated Richard Petty by a margin of 0.8 seconds in front of 137,000 people. Notable speeds for this race were: 140.707 miles per hour (226.446 km/h) as the average speed and 162.841 miles per hour (262.067 km/h) as the pole position speed. Bonnett had previously won the 1982 running of the same event and would repeat his success as result of winning this race. However, he would never win another World 600 race after this one ever again in his NASCAR career. Canadian driver Trevor Boys started in 33rd and finished in 20th during this race in his #48 Chevrolet machine. Total winnings for this race were $407,190 in American dollars ($964,168.24 in today's money).
Other notable racers included: Mark Martin (in his #01 Activision Chevrolet), Ricky Rudd (in his #3 Piedmont Airlines Chevrolet), Terry Labonte (in his #44 Budweiser Chevrolet), and Cale Yarborough (in his #28 Hardee's Chevrolet). Margaret Claud Padgett was the designated Miss Winston for this race in addition to every NASCAR Winston Cup Series racing event held from 1981 to 1985.
- Neil Bonnett
- Richard Petty (highest finishing Pontiac vehicle)
- Bobby Allison
- Darrell Waltrip
- Dale Earnhardt† (highest finishing Ford vehicle)
- Lake Speed
- Buddy Baker
- Kyle Petty
- Morgan Shepherd
- Dave Marcis
- Bobby Hillin, Jr.
- Buddy Arrington
- Dean Combs
- Joe Ruttman
- Tommy Ellis
- Bill Elliott
- Ken Ragan
- Bobby Wawak†
- Sterling Marlin
- Trevor Boys
- Jim Vandiver
- H. B. Bailey†
- D. K. Ulrich
- Slick Johnson†
- Harry Gant
- J. D. McDuffie†
- Bob Senneker*
- Cale Yarborough*
- Mark Martin*
- Phillip Duffie*
- Rick Newsom
- Ricky Rudd
- Terry Labonte*
- Benny Parsons*†
- Tommy Gale*†
- Geoffrey Bodine*
- Dick Brooks*†
- Jimmy Means*
- David Pearson*
- Tim Richmond*†
- Ron Bouchard* (finished in last place due to an oil seal problem on lap 14)
† signifies that the driver is known to be deceased
* Driver failed to finish race
- "1983 World 600 weather information". The Old Farmers' Almanac. Retrieved 2011-02-03.
- "1983 World 600 racing results". Racing Reference. Retrieved 2010-12-11.
- "1983 World 600 racing results (third reference)". Driver Averages. Retrieved 2010-12-11.
- "Neil Bonnett's Victory @ at the 1983 World 600". NeilBonnett.com. Retrieved 2011-01-06.
- "Neil Bonnett's Story". Neil Bonnett.com. Retrieved 2011-02-04.
- "1983 World 600 racing results (second reference)". Stat Sheet. Retrieved 2010-12-11.
- "Margaret Claud Padgett information". Miss Winston. Retrieved 2011-05-02.
- "1983 World 600 racing results (winner only)". Charlotte Motor Speedway. Retrieved 2011-01-09.
1983 Valleydale 500
|NASCAR Winston Cup Series races
1983 Budweiser 400
|World 600 races