1984 PBA season
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|1984 PBA season|
|Duration||March 25, 1984 – December 18, 1984|
|Number of teams||7 + 1|
|TV partner(s)||Vintage Sports (MBS)|
|First All-Filipino Conference champions||Crispa Redmanizers|
|Runners-up||Gilbey's Gin Tonics|
|Second All-Filipino Conference champions||Great Taste Coffee Makers|
|Runners-up||Beer Hausen Brewmasters|
|Invitational Championship champions||Great Taste Coffee Makers|
|Season MVP||Ramon Fernandez|
The 1984 PBA season was the 10th season of the Philippine Basketball Association (PBA).
- Northern Consolidated Corporation (NCC), the national training team coached by Ron Jacobs, played in the first two conferences as guest team.
- The PBA was forced to have two All-Filipino Conferences as the nation reeled from year-round economic crisis; the import-laced tournament did return in the Third conference.
- The Crispa Redmanizers played their final season in the PBA, winning their 13th and last championship during the first All-Filipino Conference.
- Great Taste Coffeemakers won two titles in the year, becoming the newest dynasty in the pro league.
- Ramon Fernandez bagged his second Most Valuable Player Award, highlighted by a year of more than 20 triple-double performances and a near triple-double average for the whole season.
- The Season marked the first without the Multi-titled Toyota Super Corollas, whom announced the disbandment of the team prior to the start of the season.
- First All Filipino Conference: Crispa Redmanizers
- Second All Filipino Conference: Great Taste Coffee Makers
- Invitational Championship: Great Taste Coffee Makers
- Team with best win-loss percentage: Great Taste (39-14, .736)
- Most Valuable Player: Ramon Fernandez (Beer Hausen)
- Rookie of the Year: Willie Pearson (Crispa)
- Most Improved Player: Manny Victorino (Great Taste)
- Best Import-Invitational: Jeff Collins (Great Taste)
- Mythical Five:
- Mythical Second Team:
|Great Taste Coffee Makers||53||39||14||.736|
|Northern Consolidated (NCC)||48||30||18||.625|
|Gilbey's Gin Tonics||55||25||30||.454|
|Tanduay Rhum Makers||40||14||26||.350|
|Gold Eagle Beer||38||11||27||.289|
|Country Fair Hotdogs||27||2||25||.074|
- "Looking back: The PBA's history". Manila Standard.