1984 in India
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (January 2009)|
|See also:||List of years in India
Timeline of Indian history
Events in the year 1984 in the Republic of India.
- President of India – Zail Singh
- Prime Minister of India – Indira Gandhi until 31 October, Rajiv Gandhi
- 5 March - Prime Minister of India Indira Gandhi orders Operation Blue Star.
- 2 April - Squadron Leader Rakesh Sharma is launched into space, aboard the Soyuz T-11.
- 13 April - India launches Operation Meghdoot, as most of the Siachen Glacier in Kashmir comes under Indian control.
- 5 June - The Indian government begins Operation Blue Star.
- 4 June - Indian troops storm the Golden Temple at Amritsar, the Sikhs' holiest shrine.
- 31 October - Indian Prime Minister Indira Gandhi is assassinated by her two Sikh security guards. Her son Rajiv Gandhi succeeds her as Prime Minister.
- 31 October - 3 November An estimated 2,700-10,000 Sikhs killed during the anti-Sikh riots in Delhi and other areas; mobs loot and damage several Sikh homes, businesses and Gurdwaras in response to the assassination of Indira Gandhi
- 31 October - Birth Anniversary of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel - The Iron Man of India. He was the one man who got 550 states and territories to form the united Republic of India.
- 3 December - Bhopal disaster: A methyl isocyanate leak from a Union Carbide pesticide plant in Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh, kills more than 2,000 people outright and injures anywhere from 15,000 to 22,000 others (some 6,000 of whom later die from their injuries) in one of the worst industrial disasters in history.
Arts and literature
- Indian National Trust for Art and Cultural Heritage, autonomous non-governmental organisation seeking to preserve Indian culture and heritage, is founded.
- 4 January — Jeeva, actor
- 24 March — Adrian D'Souza, field hockey player
- 16 July — Katrina Kaif, actress
- 6 September — Diwakar Prasad, boxer
- 19 September — Kavya Madhavan, actress
- 27 October — Irfan Pathan, cricketer
- 8 November — Nayantara, actress
Full date unknown
- Masumeh Makhija, actress
- 10 March - I. S. Johar, actor, writer, producer and director (born 1920).
- 31 October - Indira Gandhi, Prime Minister, assassinated (born 1917).
Full date unknown
- Gopi Krishna, yogi, mystic, teacher, social reformer and writer (born 1903).