The Senior women's race at the 1986 IAAF World Cross Country Championships was held in Colombier, Neuchâtel, Switzerland, at the Planeyse Colombier on March 23, 1986. A report on the event was given in the Glasgow Herald and in the Evening Times.
Complete results, medallists,  and the results of British athletes were published.
Senior women's race (4.65 km)
- Note: Athletes in parentheses did not score for the team result
An unofficial count yields the participation of 161 athletes from 36 countries in the Senior women's race. This is in agreement with the official numbers as published.
- ^ Chaos as Zola leads England to victory - Zola Budd retained the individual title and led England to a controversial team victory at the world cross-country championships in Neuchatel, Switzerland yesterday..., Glasgow Herald, March 24, 1986, p. 12, retrieved October 22, 2013
- ^ Runaway Zola win - Zola Budd led from start to finish to retain her world cross country championship at Neuchatel, Switzerland..., Evening Times, March 24, 1986, p. 17, retrieved October 22, 2013
- ^ Magnusson, Tomas (February 8, 2007), IAAF World Cross Country Championships - 4.7km CC Women - Neuchatel Planeyse Colombier Date: Saturday, March 22, 1986, Athchamps (archived), retrieved October 22, 2013
- ^ IAAF WORLD CROSS COUNTRY CHAMPIONSHIPS, Athletics Weekly, retrieved October 9, 2013
- ^ a b 36th IAAF WORLD CROSS COUNTRY CHAMPIONSHIPS - EDINBURGH 2008 - FACTS & FIGURES - GREAT BRITAIN & NORTHERN IRELAND AT THE INTERNATIONAL CROSS COUNTRY & WORLD CROSS COUNTRY CHAMPIONSHIPS, IAAF, p. 2ff, retrieved October 9, 2013