History of the 1986 Western Soccer Alliance season.
After the success of the 1985 Western Alliance Challenge Series, three of the teams from that series, F.C. Seattle, F.C. Portland and the San Jose Earthquakes established the Western Soccer Alliance. The Victoria Riptide, a participant in 1985, did not return but was replaced by the Edmonton Brickmen which had played games against the series team in 1985. These teams were joined by the Hollywood Kickers, Los Angeles Heat and San Diego Nomads expanded the alliance from its Northwest Pacific roots into southern California. The Alliance played a regular season schedule only.
League standings 
Points leaders 
- Goalkeeper: Lorenzo Caccialanza
- Defenders: Dale Ervine, Paul Krumpe, Martín Vásquez
- Midfielders: Paul Caligiuri, Dennis Gunnel, Hugo Perez
- Forwards: Chance Fry, Brent Goulet, Jeff Hooker, Mark Miller
- Goalkeeper: Todd Strobeck
- Defenders: Mark Arquette, Jens Ole-Knudsen, Scott Murray, Tim Schulz
- Midfielders: Drew Ferguson, Doug Swanson
- Forwards: Tim Barto, Ross Ongaro, Rob Ryerson, Dzung Tran