The New York Mets' 1987 season was the 26th regular season for the Mets. They went 92-70 and finished 2nd in the NL East, and became the sixth straight team to enter the season as the defending World Series champions and miss the playoffs entirely. They were managed by Davey Johnson. The team played home games at Shea Stadium.
- November 12, 1986: Ron Gardenhire was traded by the Mets to the Minnesota Twins for a player to be named later. The Twins completed the deal by sending Dominic Iasparro (minors) to the Mets on April 4, 1987.
- December 9, 1986: Heathcliff Slocumb was drafted from the Mets by the Chicago Cubs in the 1986 minor league draft.
- December 11, 1986: Kevin Mitchell, Stan Jefferson, Shawn Abner, Kevin Armstrong (minors) and Kevin Brown (minors) were traded by the Mets to the San Diego Padres for Kevin McReynolds, Gene Walter, and Adam Ging (minors).
- December 17, 1986: Doug Gwosdz was traded by the Mets to the Seattle Mariners for Ricky Nelson.
- February 9, 1987: Clint Hurdle was signed as a free agent by the Mets.
- March 27, 1987: Ed Hearn, Rick Anderson, and Mauro Gozzo were traded by the Mets to the Kansas City Royals for David Cone and Chris Jelic.
Regular season 
- June 5, 1987: A mock ceremony to promote a special wedding issue of the Amazing Spider-Man comic book took place at home plate in front of more than 45,000 fans just before the New York Mets played the Pittsburgh Pirates. Actors portrayed as fictional comic book characters Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson (wearing a wedding gown designed by Willi Smith, participated in the ceremony. Stan Lee, publisher of Marvel Comics and co-creator of Spider-Man officiated the ceremony prior to the Mets match.
- Howard Johnson became the eighth member of the 30-30 club by hitting for at least 30 home runs and getting at least 30 stolen bases in the same season. Johnson was the first infielder to join the 30-30 club.
- Darryl Strawberry became the second Met in the season and the tenth member overall of the 30-30 club
Notable transactions 
Player stats 
Starters by position 
Note: Pos = Position; G = Games played; AB = At Bats; H = Hits; Avg. = Batting Average; HR = Home Runs; RBI = Runs Batted In
Other batters 
Starting pitchers 
Other pitchers 
Relief pitchers 
Awards and honors 
- Darryl Strawberry - Player of the Month, September 1987
Farm system 
- ^ Ron Gardenhire page at Baseball Reference
- ^ Heathcliff Slocumb page at Baseball Reference
- ^ Stan Jefferson page at Baseball Reference
- ^ Doug Gwosdz page at Baseball Reference
- ^ Clint Hurdle page at Baseball Reference
- ^ David Cone page at Baseball Reference
- ^ http://www.nytimes.com/1987/06/02/style/spider-man-to-wed-model.html
- ^ Don Schulze page at Baseball Reference
- ^ Todd Hundley page at Baseball Reference
- ^ http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/h/hillmer01.shtml
- ^ Anthony Young page at Baseball Reference
- ^ John Candelaria page at Baseball Reference
- ^ Johnson, Lloyd, and Wolff, Miles, ed., The Encyclopedia of Minor League Baseball, 3rd edition. Durham, N.C.: Baseball America, 2007
External links