The Senior women's race at the 1988 IAAF World Cross Country Championships was held in Auckland, New Zealand, at the Ellerslie Racecourse on March 26, 1988. A report on the event was given in the Glasgow Herald.
Complete results, medallists,  and the results of British athletes were published.
Senior women's race (5.962 km)
- Note: Athletes in parentheses did not score for the team result
An unofficial count yields the participation of 141 athletes from 32 countries in the Senior women's race. This is in agreement with the official numbers as published.
- ^ Gillon, Doug (March 28, 1988), Cross-country in Britain could be running out of time - The World Championships in Auckland may have signalled the beginning of the death of cross-country running in Britain..., Glasgow Herald, p. 9, retrieved October 23, 2013
- ^ Magnusson, Tomas (September 8, 2007), IAAF World Cross Country Championships - 6.0km CC Women - Auckland Elleslie Date: Saturday, March 26, 1988, Athchamps (archived), retrieved October 23, 2013
- ^ IAAF WORLD CROSS COUNTRY CHAMPIONSHIPS, Athletics Weekly, retrieved October 9, 2013
- ^ a b 36th IAAF WORLD CROSS COUNTRY CHAMPIONSHIPS - EDINBURGH 2008 - FACTS & FIGURES - GREAT BRITAIN & NORTHERN IRELAND AT THE INTERNATIONAL CROSS COUNTRY & WORLD CROSS COUNTRY CHAMPIONSHIPS, IAAF, p. 2ff, retrieved October 9, 2013