1988 US Open (tennis)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from 1988 U.S. Open (tennis))
|1988 US Open|
|Date:||August 29 – September 11|
|Category:||Grand Slam (ITF)|
|Location:||New York City, NY, USA|
|Sergio Casal / Emilio Sánchez|
|Gigi Fernández / Robin White|
|Jana Novotná / Jim Pugh|
|Jonathan Stark / John Yancey|
|Meredith McGrath / Kimberly Po|
The 1988 US Open was a tennis tournament played on outdoor hard courts at the USTA National Tennis Center in New York City in New York in the United States. It was the 108th edition of the US Open and was held from August 29 to September 11, 1988.
- It was Wilander's 7th and last career Grand Slam title and his only US Open title. He became the first male player since Jimmy Connors in 1974 to win three Grand Slam titles in a season. The final was the longest in the Open's history, lasting 4 hours and 55 minutes
- It was Graf's 5th career Grand Slam title and her 1st US Open title. She became the second woman in the Open Era to complete a singles Grand Slam in a calendar year after Margaret Court did so in 1970.
- It was Casal's 2nd career Grand Slam title and his 2nd and last US Open title. It was Sánchez's 4th career Grand Slam title and his 2nd and last US Open title.
- It was Fernández's 1st career Grand Slam title and her 1st US Open title. It was White's 1st career Grand Slam title and her 1st US Open title.
- It was Novotná's 2nd career Grand Slam title and her 1st US Open title. It was Pugh's 3rd career Grand Slam title and his only US Open title.
1987 US Open
|US Open||Succeeded by
1989 US Open
1988 Wimbledon Championships
|Grand Slams||Succeeded by
1989 Australian Open