1988 in architecture
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|List of years in architecture (table)|
|... 1978 . 1979 . 1980 . 1981 . 1982 . 1983 . 1984 ...
1985 1986 1987 -1988- 1989 1990 1991
... 1992 . 1993 . 1994 . 1995 . 1996 . 1997 . 1998 ...
|Art . Archaeology . Architecture . Literature . Music . Philosophy . Science +...|
The year 1988 in architecture involved some significant architectural events and new buildings.
- March 13 - Seikan Tunnel beneath the Tsugaru Strait in Japan
- May 9 - Parliament House, Canberra, Australia.
- September 25 - Aalto Theatre, Essen, Germany.
- October 10 - Cairo Opera House, Egypt.
- November 2 - Immaculate Conception Cathedral, Dili, Indonesia.
- December - Torre Picasso, in Madrid, Spain, by Minoru Yamasaki.
- date unknown - National Union of Mineworkers headquarters, Sheffield, England
- March 11 - Sultan Salahuddin Abdul Aziz Mosque, Selangor, Malaysia.
- July - BankWest Tower in Perth, Western Australia.
- Scotia Plaza in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
- Wells Fargo Center in Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States.
- Pitampura TV Tower in New Delhi, India.
- Washington Mutual Tower in Seattle, Washington.
- Central Plaza 1, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia.
- One Kansas City Place, in Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.
- Richmond Riverside development in London, England, designed by Quinlan Terry.
- Storm water pumping station on the Isle of Dogs in London Docklands, designed by John Outram Associates.
- Alvar Aalto Medal – Alvaro Siza
- Architecture Firm Award - Hartman-Cox Architects
- European Union Prize for Contemporary Architecture (Mies van der Rohe Prize) – Alvaro Siza for Banco Borges e Irmão, Vila do Conde
- Pritzker Prize - Oscar Niemeyer and Gordon Bunshaft
- RAIA Gold Medal - Romaldo Giurgola
- Royal Gold Medal - Richard Meier
- Thomas Jefferson Medal in Architecture – Romaldo Giurgola.
- Twenty-five Year Award - Washington Dulles International Airport Terminal Building
- March 12 - Bernard Rudofsky, Moravian-born American writer, architect, collector, teacher, designer, and social historian (born 1905)
- August 21 - Ray Eames, American architect and designer, partner of Charles Eames (born 1912)
- November 22 - Luis Barragán, Mexican architect (born 1902)
- UCANews November 9, 1988
- "History". Torre Picasso. Retrieved 2014-01-30.
- "Sheffield casino plan approved for ex-NUM headquarters". BBC. 19 December 2011. Retrieved 19 July 2013.
- "Tourism Malaysia-Selangor destinations-Blue Mosque". Government website-Tourism Malaysia. 2011. Retrieved 26 January 2011.
- MacDonald, Rob (8 July 1988). "214m tower is all set to open for business". Daily News. p. 14.
- Hardingham, Samantha (1996). London: a guide to recent architecture (3rd ed.). London: Ellipsis. ISBN 1-899858-08-3.