The 1989-90 NBA season was the Warriors' 44th season in the NBA and 27th in the San Francisco Bay Area. The Warriors drafted Tim Hardaway, who teamed with Chris Mullin and Mitch Richmond to form the threesome later known as Run TMC. Early on, Hardaway was not as proficient a scorer as Mullin and Richmond. In a win over the Boston Celtics in the 38th game of the season, all three players surpassed 20 points in the same game for the first time. The Warriors led the NBA in scoring during the season.
Main article: 1989 NBA Draft
33 Uwe Blab, 10 Manute Bol, 12 Winston Garland, 5 Tim Hardaway, 22 Rod Higgins, 8 Marques Johnson, 53 Alton Lister, 13 Sarunas Marciulionis, 17 Chris Mullin, 43 Jim Peterson, 23 Mitch Richmond, 45 John Shasky, 52 Mike Smrek, 44 Leonard Taylor, 20 Terry Teagle, 3 Tom Tolbert, 7 Kelvin Upshaw, 40 Chris Welp
Template:1989-90 NBA Pacific standings
- z - clinched division title
- y - clinched division title
- x - clinched playoff spot
||This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (January 2011)
Awards and records
- June 15, 1989: Otis Smith drafted in the NBA expansion draft by the Orlando Magic.
- June 16, 1989: Released Orlando Graham.
- June 16, 1989: Released Ben McDonald.
- June 16, 1989: Released John Starks.
- June 23, 1989: Signed Sarunas Marciulionis as a free agent.
- June 27, 1989: Traded a 1989 1st round draft pick to the Seattle SuperSonics for a 1990 1st round draft pick.
- July 5, 1989: Released Steve Alford.
- July 11, 1989: Larry Smith signed as an unrestricted free agent with the Houston Rockets.
- August 7, 1989: Traded a 1990 1st round draft pick to the Seattle SuperSonics for Alton Lister.
- August 10, 1989: Signed Leonard Taylor as a free agent.
- September 22, 1989: Signed Uwe Blab as an unrestricted free agent.
- September 27, 1989: Traded Ralph Sampson to the Sacramento Kings for Jim Petersen.
- October 2, 1989: Traded Tellis Frank to the Miami Heat for a 1990 2nd round draft pick.
- October 5, 1989: Signed Tom Tolbert as a free agent.
- October 5, 1989: Steve Alford signed as an unrestricted free agent with the Dallas Mavericks.
- October 7, 1989: Signed Marques Johnson as an unrestricted free agent.
- November 2, 1989: Waived Tom Tolbert.
- November 9, 1989: Signed Tom Tolbert as a free agent.
- November 29, 1989: Waived Marques Johnson.
- December 4, 1989: Signed John Shasky as a free agent.
- December 12, 1989: Waived Leonard Taylor.
- February 22, 1990: Traded Uwe Blab to the San Antonio Spurs for Chris Welp.
- February 22, 1990: Traded Winston Garland to the Los Angeles Clippers for a 1990 2nd round draft pick and a 1992 2nd round draft pick.
- February 27, 1990: Signed Mike Smrek to a contract for the rest of the season.
- February 27, 1990: Waived John Shasky.
- February 28, 1990: Signed Kelvin Upshaw to a contract for the rest of the season.