1989 Pacific-10 Conference Men's Basketball Tournament
|Site||Great Western Forum
|Champions||Arizona (2nd title)|
|Winning coach||Lute Olson (2nd title)|
|MVP||Sean Elliott Arizona|
|Attendance||41,994 (5 sessions)|
|1989 NIT, 1989 NCAA|
|Pacific-10 Conference Men's
The 1989 Pacific-10 Conference Men's Basketball Tournament was played between March 9 and March 12, 1989 at the Great Western Forum in Inglewood, California. Like the previous year, both #1 and #2 seeds were in the final. Stanford made its first appearance in the final game, facing the top seeded Wildcats. The champion of the tournament was Arizona, which received the Pac-10's automatic bid to the 1989 NCAA Tournament. The Most Outstanding Player was Sean Elliott of Arizona.
|Play-In Round (March 9)||Quarterfinals (March 10)||Semifinals (March 11)||Final (March 12)|
Asterisk denotes overtime period.
- For the 3rd year in a row, no universities, played their arch-rival in the tournament.
- 70 field goals were scored in a game by Arizona (37) and OSU (33). This is still the record number of FGs by both teams in a game for this tournament.
- Arizona had 23 assists in the game vs. OSU (a current record).
- USC upset 7 seed ASU to finally win a Pac-10 Tournament game after 3 tries. They became the 10th team to get a tournament win in its history.
All Tournament Team
- Sean Elliott, Arizona
- Jud Buechler, Arizona
- Anthony Cook, Arizona
- Todd Lichti, Stanford
- Gary Payton, Oregon State