1989 in the People's Republic of China
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|See also:||Other events of 1989
List of years in China
Timeline of Chinese history
Events in the year 1989 in the People's Republic of China.
- Party General Secretary - Zhao Ziyang until June 24, Jiang Zemin
- President – Yang Shangkun
- Premier – Li Peng
- Congress Chairman - Wan Li
- Conference Chairman - Li Xiannian
- May 14 – Mikhail Gorbachev visits China, the first Soviet leader to do so since the 1960s.
- May 19 – Tiananmen Square protests of 1989: Zhao Ziyang meets the demonstrators in Tiananmen Square.
- May 20 – Tiananmen Square protests of 1989: The Chinese government declares martial law in Beijing.
- May 30 – Tiananmen Square protests of 1989: The 10 m (33 ft) high Goddess of Democracy statue is unveiled in Tiananmen Square by student demonstrators.
- June 4 – Tiananmen Square massacre takes place in Beijing on the army's approach to the square, and the final stand-off in the square is covered live on television.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (March 2012)|
- April 15 – Hu Yaobang, General Secretary of the Communist Party of China (born 1915)
- April 23 - Hu Die, Chinese actress
- December 5 - Li Keran, a renowned contemporary Chinese painter