1990 Boston Red Sox season
|1990 Boston Red Sox|
|1990 AL East Champions|
|Major League affiliations|
|Local television||WSBK-TV, Ch. 38
(Sean McDonough, Bob Montgomery)
(Ned Martin, Jerry Remy)
(Bob Starr, Joe Castiglione)
(Bobby Serrano, Hector Martinez)
|< Previous season Next season >|
The 1990 Boston Red Sox season was a season in American baseball. It involved the Red Sox finishing first in the American League East with a record of 88 wins and 74 losses. It was the second AL East division championship in three years for the Red Sox. However, as in 1988, the team fell victim to a four-game sweep at the hands of the Oakland Athletics in the ALCS.
- 1 Offseason
- 2 Regular season
- 3 Player stats
- 4 ALCS
- 5 Awards and honors
- 6 Farm system
- 7 References
- December 6, 1989: Dennis Lamp was signed as a Free Agent with the Boston Red Sox.
- December 6, 1989: Jeff Reardon signed as a Free Agent with the Boston Red Sox.
- December 19, 1989: Rick Cerone was released by the Boston Red Sox.
- December 20, 1989: Sam Horn was released by the Boston Red Sox.
- February 15, 1990: Bill Buckner signed as a Free Agent with the Boston Red Sox.
- February 15, 1990: Greg A. Harris was signed as a Free Agent with the Boston Red Sox.
On June 6, 1990, the Red Sox got retribution for Bucky Dent's home run when the New York Yankees fired Dent as their manager, making Fenway Park the scene of his greatest moment as a player—and his worst moment as manager. Dan Shaughnessy of The Boston Globe criticized Yankees Owner George Steinbrenner for firing Dent—his 18th managerial change in as many years—in Boston and said he should "have waited until the Yankees got to Baltimore" to fire Dent. He said that "if Dent had been fired in Seattle or Milwaukee, this would have been just another event in an endless line of George's jettisons. But it happened in Boston and the nightly news had its hook." He also said that "the firing was only special because...it's the first time a Yankee manager...was purged on the ancient Indian burial grounds of the Back Bay."
|Boston Red Sox||88||74||.543||--|
|Toronto Blue Jays||86||76||.531||2|
|New York Yankees||67||95||.414||21|
Opening Day Line Up
|13||Billy Jo Robidoux||1B|
|1990 Boston Red Sox|
- May 4, 1990: Lee Smith was traded by the Boston Red Sox to the St. Louis Cardinals for Tom Brunansky.
- June 4, 1990: Les Norman was drafted by the Boston Red Sox in the 26th round of the 1990 amateur draft, but did not sign.
- June 5, 1990: Bill Buckner was released by the Boston Red Sox.
- August 23, 1990: Cecilio Guante signed as a Free Agent with the Boston Red Sox.
- August 30, 1990: The Boston Red Sox traded Jeff Bagwell to the Houston Astros for Larry Andersen.
|= Indicates team leader|
Starters by position
Note: Pos = Position; G = Games played; AB = At Bats; H = Hits; Avg. = Batting Average; HR = Home Runs; RBI = Runs Batted In
October 6, 1990 at Fenway Park
|W: Dave Stewart (1-0) L: Larry Andersen (0-1)|
|HR: BOS – Wade Boggs (1)|
October 7, 1990 at Fenway Park
|W: Bob Welch (1-0) L: Greg Harris (0-1) S: Dennis Eckersley (1)|
October 9, 1990 at Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum
|W: Mike Moore (1-0) L: Mike Boddicker (0-1) S: Dennis Eckersley (2)|
October 10, 1990 at Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum
|W: Dave Stewart (2-0) L: Roger Clemens (0-1) S: Rick Honeycutt (1)|
Awards and honors
- Roger Clemens, American League Leader, Shutouts (4)
- Dennis Lamp Statistics and History - Baseball-Reference.com
- Jeff Reardon Statistics - Baseball-Reference.com
- Rick Cerone Statistics - Baseball-Reference.com
- Sam Horn Statistics and History - Baseball-Reference.com
- Bill Buckner Statistics - Baseball-Reference.com
- Greg Harris Statistics and History - Baseball-Reference.com
- Cafardo, Nick (June 7, 1990). "Dent Dumped by Yankees". The Boston Globe. p. 37.
- Shaughnessy, Dan (June 7, 1990). "His Back Was Against the Wall". The Boston Globe. p. 37.
- "Single Season Grounding Into Double Play Records". Baseball-Almanac.com. Retrieved May 14, 2012.
- Lee Smith Statistics - Baseball-Reference.com
- Les Norman Statistics - Baseball-Reference.com
- Johnson, Lloyd, and Wolff, Miles, ed., The Encyclopedia of Minor League Baseball, 3rd edition. Durham, N.C.: Baseball America, 2007
- 1990 Boston Red Sox team page at Baseball Reference
- 1990 Boston Red Sox season at baseball-almanac.com