From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Events in the year 1990 in the Republic of India.
- January - An insurgency breaks out in Kashmir Valley, inflaming tensions with Pakistan. New Delhi dissolves the state assembly and imposes direct rule.
- March - The last Indian troops are withdrawn from Sri Lanka.
- 15 April – Food poisoning kills 450 guests at an engagement party in Uttar Pradesh.
- May - A cyclone ravages the southern state of Andhra Pradesh, killing nearly 1,000 people.
- V P Singh announces implementation of Mandal commission report.
- November - V.P. Singh resigns as prime minister and is succeeded by Janata Dal dissident Chandra Shekhar.
- 1 January - Ali Murtaza, cricketer.
- 12 January Nawab Quibria Haque
- 28 November Sathishkamal.M, MIB, Pachagoundan palayam, sulur.
- 14 January - Mani Madhava Chakyar, master Chakyar Koothu and Koodiyattam artist (b. 1899).
- 29 March - Adoor Bhasi, actor, writer, journalist, singer and film producer (b. 1927).
- 2 June - Shriram Sharma Acharya, seer, sage and Founder of the All World Gayatri Pariwar (b. 1911).
- 21 October - Prabhat Ranjan Sarkar, philosopher, author, social revolutionary, poet, composer and linguist (b. 1921).
- 30 September - Shankar Nag, actor and director (b. 1954).
- 30 October - Vinod Mehra, actor (b. 1945).
- 25 December - Chandrakant T. Patel, cotton scientist (b. 1917).