1991 PGA Championship
|Dates||August 8–11, 1991|
|Course(s)||Crooked Stick Golf Club|
|Length||7,289 yards (6,665 m)|
|Field||151 players, 77 after cut|
The 1991 PGA Championship was the 73rd PGA Championship, held August 8–11 at Crooked Stick Golf Club in Carmel, Indiana, a suburb north of Indianapolis. John Daly won the first of his two major titles, three strokes ahead of runner-up Bruce Lietzke.
Daly was quite arguably the most unforeseen major championship winner in modern history. He was the ninth alternate who only qualified after several others pulled out of the tournament. Nick Price withdrew for the birth of his first child and Daly hired his caddy, Jeff "Squeaky" Medlen. Daly's outgoing personality and "grip it and rip it" style of play made him an instant fan favorite. The PGA Championship was his first tour victory.
A spectator was killed after being struck by lightning during a weather delay in the first round. It was the second fatality at a major championship in 1991. Two months earlier at the U.S. Open in Minnesota, six people were hit by lightning with one fatality.
Past champions in the field
Made the cut
|Player||Country||Year(s) won||R1||R2||R3||R4||Total||To par||Finish|
|Raymond Floyd||United States||1969, 1982||69||74||72||69||284||–4||T7|
|Hal Sutton||United States||1983||74||67||72||71||284||–4||T7|
|Payne Stewart||United States||1989||74||70||71||70||285||–3||T13|
|Jack Nicklaus||United States||1963, 1971,
1973 1975, 1980
|Lanny Wadkins||United States||1977||71||74||72||73||290||+2||T43|
|Jeff Sluman||United States||1988||73||73||74||74||294||+6||T61|
|Bob Tway||United States||1986||73||71||78||74||296||+8||T66|
Missed the cut
|Player||Country||Year(s) won||R1||R2||Total||To par|
|Dave Stockton||United States||1970, 1976||71||77||148||+4|
|John Mahaffey||United States||1978||77||74||151||+7|
|Hubert Green||United States||1985||73||78||151||+7|
|Larry Nelson||United States||1981, 1987||75||77||152||+8|
Sunday, August 11, 1991
|Place||Player||Country||Score||To par||Money ($)|
|1||John Daly||United States||69-67-69-71=276||–12||230,000|
|2||Bruce Lietzke||United States||68-69-72-70=279||–9||140,000|
|3||Jim Gallagher, Jr.||United States||70-72-72-67=281||–7||95,000|
|4||Kenny Knox||United States||67-71-70-74=282||–6||75,000|
|T5||Bob Gilder||United States||73-70-67-73=283||–5||60,000|
|T7||David Feherty||Northern Ireland||71-74-71-68=284||–4||38,000|
|Raymond Floyd||United States||69-74-72-69=284|
|John Huston||United States||70-72-70-72=284|
|Steve Pate||United States||70-75-70-69=284|
|Craig Stadler||United States||68-71-69-76=284|
|Hal Sutton||United States||74-67-72-71=284|
- "Tournament Info for: 1991 PGA Championship". PGA.com. Retrieved July 28, 2012.
- Shapiro, Leonard (August 12, 1991). "Daly knocks out PGA field". Eugene Register-Guard. (Washington Post). p. 1B.
- Garrity, John (August 19, 1991). "Over drive". Sports Illustrated: 18.
- Saylor, Jack (August 12, 1991). "Daly comes long way to reach the top". Spokesman-Review. (Knight-Ridder Newspapers). p. C1.
- Hackenberg, Dave (August 9, 1991). "Lightning kills spectator at PGA Championship". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. p. 15.
- "1991 PGA Championship". databasegolf.com. Retrieved August 17, 2013.
- "Television". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. June 28, 1990. p. 30.
- "CBS locks up PGA Championship rights through 2011". ESPN. September 11, 2005. Retrieved June 1, 2013.
- Sandomir, Richard (August 6, 1991). "TV sports; If it's action you want, CBS says you'll have it". New York Times. Retrieved June 1, 2013.
- Yahoo Sports - 1991 PGA Championship - results
- About.com: 1991 PGA Championship
- PGA.com – 1991 PGA Championship
1991 Open Championship
|Major Championships||Succeeded by