1992 in India
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (December 2009)|
Events in the year 1992 in the Republic of India.
- President of India – R. Venkataraman until 25 July, Shankar Dayal Sharma
- Prime Minister of India – P. V. Narasimha Rao
- 1 February - Chief Judicial Magistrate of Bhopal Court declares Warren Anderson, ex-CEO of Union Carbide, a fugitive under Indian law for failing to appear in the Bhopal Disaster case, and orders the Indian government to press for an extradition from the United States.
- 2 March, popular National newspaper the Indian Express calls Dr. Leo Rebello the Ralph Nader of India. Later, it also calls him ‘One Man Army’.
- May - Over 200 people die in Cuttack in Odisha, after drinking illegally brewed liquor. About 600 people were hospitalised (see: 1992 Odisha liquor deaths).
- 6 December - Workers of the Vishva Hindu Parishad (VHP, World Hindu Council) tear down a 16th-century mosque located in Ayodhya, in Northern India. The mosque is believed to have been built over a shrine which exhorted the small piece of land as Ram Janmabhoomi - the birthplace of Lord Rama. This sparks off nationwide communal riots in which some 3,000 people die.
- Government of India establishes SEBI, stock exchange regulator.
- 9 February - Raj Chouhan, politician
- 27 February - Abigail Jain, actress
- 3 March- Sagar Pradhan, Computer Engineer
- 29 April - Sujith kuttan
- 4 July - Yuki Bhambri, tennis player
- 30 July - Vishal Kumar, football player
- 18 August - Utsav Lal, concert pianist
- 15 September - Shilton D'Silva, soccer player
- 10 December - Deepak Devrani, soccer player
- 21 December - Sunil Jadhav, cricketer
Full date unknown 
- Lalrindika Ralte, footballer
- 23 April - Satyajit Ray, filmmaker (born 1921).
- 17 July - Kanan Devi, actress and singer (born 1916).
- 27 July - Amjad Khan, actor and director (born 1940).
- 3 November - Prem Nath, actor (born 1926).
Full date unknown 
See also