1992 in rail transport
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Years in rail transport|
This article lists events related to rail transport that occurred in 1992.
January events 
- January 1 - After the reindependence of Estonia the national railway company Eesti Raudtee is established.
March events 
April events 
- April 3 - The Goderich Exeter Railway begins operations in Ontario, Canada.
- April 3 - The new light rail system in Baltimore, Maryland, USA, opens for service on a very limited basis, running only on days with baseball games at a new Camden Yards stadium station it serves, and only for a period of about 2 hours before and after each game (see May 17).
- April 6 - The first section of Manchester Metrolink, in Manchester, England, opens.
- April 14- The Madrid-Seville AVE line opens
May events 
August events 
- August 27 – The 3200-series rapid transit cars (3201–3457), built by the Morrison-Knudsen Company of Hornell, New York, are placed in service on the Chicago 'L' system, retiring the last of the old 6000-series cars from the 1950s.
October events 
- October 26 - Southern California's Metrolink opens.
- October - Public rail transport in Jamaica ceases operation.
December events 
- December 23 - Nuevo Central Argentino is granted a concession to operate freight trains over former Ferrocarriles Argentinos tracks in and around Buenos Aires.
Unknown date events 
- General Motors Electro-Motive Division introduces the EMD SD70.
- Paul Tellier is appointed to the presidency of Canadian National Railway.
- Wisconsin and Calumet Railroad is acquired by the Wisconsin and Southern Railroad
- Amtrak commissions three prototype Roadrailers for testing behind regular revenue passenger trains.
- South African Railways ceases use of steam locomotives (other than Outeniqua Choo Tjoe tourist operation).
- Indian Railways introduces 'women only' trains on Mumbai Western and Central suburban lines
October deaths 
- "Ajalugu" (in Estonian). Eesti Raudtee. Retrieved 23 April 2012.
- "Significant dates in Canadian railway history". Colin Churcher's Railway Pages. 17 March 2006. Archived from the original on 24 April 2006. Retrieved 3 April 2006.
- Light Rail and Modern Tramway (ISSN 0964-9255), July 1992 and August 1992 issues. Ian Allan Publishing (UK).
- Light Rail and Modern Tramway (ISSN 0964-9255), September 1992 issue, p. 249. Ian Allan Publishing (UK).
- Stauss, Ed. "Baltimore's Zig Zag Zig Trolley". Rail Classics (ISSN 0743-9075), September/October 1992 issue, pp. 14-21. Challenge Publications.
- Translated from "26 octobre dans les chemins de fer" (in français). Retrieved 2006-10-26.
- Satchell, Veront M.; Sampson, Cezley (March 2003). "The rise and fall of railways in Jamaica, 1845-1975". Journal of Transport History 24 (1): 18.
- Johnston, Bob (February 1997). "Amtrak RoadRailers get rolling". Trains Magazine 57 (2): 26–27.
- "No men allowed". Trains: 46. January 2008.