1993 Bolivarian Games
|XII Bolivarian Games|
|Host city||Cochabamba, Cochabamba
Santa Cruz de la Sierra, Santa Cruz
|Opening ceremony||April 24, 1993|
|Closing ceremony||May 2, 1993|
|Officially opened by||Jaime Paz Zamora|
|Torch Lighter||Johnny Pérez|
|Main venue||Estadio Félix Capriles in Cochabamba
Estadio Ramón Tahuichi Aguilera in Santa Cruz
The XII Bolivarian Games (Spanish: Juegos Bolivarianos) were a multi-sport event held between April 24 - May 2, 1993, in Cochabamba and Santa Cruz de la Sierra, Bolivia. The Games were organized by the Bolivarian Sports Organization (ODEBO).
In Cochabamba, the Games were officially opened by Bolivian president Jaime Paz Zamora. Torch lighter was long distance runner Johnny Pérez, who won the silver medal in the 3000 metres steeplechase event at the 1981 Bolivarian Games.
Immediately after the end of the ceremony in Cochabamba, the president and a number of officials from the organizing committee rushed by plane to Santa Cruz to attend the other inauguracion.
Cochabamba hosted the following sports: athletics (Estadio Félix Capriles), cycling (Circuito Bolivariano), football (Estadio Félix Capriles), judo, karate, racquetball (Country Club), table tennis (Coliseo José Castro), taekwondo, and volleyball.
Santa Cruz hosted the following sports: basketball, boxing (Coliseo John Pictor Blanco), equestrianism, fencing, gymnastics, shooting (Polígono de Santa Cruz), swimming, tennis, weightlifting (Coliseo Gilberto Menacho), and wrestling.
About 1300 athletes from 6 countries were reported to participate:
†: The competition was reserved to youth representatives (U-17).
The medal count for these Games is tabulated below. A slightly different number of medals was published elsewhere. This table is sorted by the number of gold medals earned by each country. The number of silver medals is taken into consideration next, and then the number of bronze medals.
|1993 Bolivarian Games Medal Count|
- Quesada F., Estewil (April 24, 1993), Comienza el ciclo olímpico (in Spanish), El Tiempo, retrieved January 19, 2013
- Quesada, Estewil (April 25, 1993), Una inauguración maratónica (in Spanish), El Tiempo, retrieved January 19, 2013
- CUADRO DE MEDALLISTAS ECUATORIANOS EN LA HISTORIA DE LOS J. D. B. POR EDICIÓN (in Spanish), Comité Olímpico Ecuatoriano, retrieved October 22, 2012
- Quesada, Estewil (May 3, 1993), El balance fue positivo (in Spanish), El Tiempo, retrieved January 19, 2013
- La lista sigue inconclusa... (in Spanish), El Tiempo, March 18, 1993, retrieved January 19, 2013
- RESULTADOS - XII Juegos Bolivarianos. Santa Cruz y Cochabamba - Bolivia, 1993 (in Spanish), Comité Organizador de los Juegos Deportivos Bolivarianos 2005, retrieved January 16, 2013