1994 Boston Red Sox season
|1994 Boston Red Sox|
|Major League affiliations|
|General manager(s)||Dan Duquette|
|Local television||WSBK-TV, Ch. 38
(Sean McDonough, Bob Montgomery)
(Bob Kurtz, Jerry Remy)
(Jerry Trupiano, Joe Castiglione)
(Bobby Serrano, Hector Martinez)
|< Previous season Next season >|
The 1994 Boston Red Sox season was a season in American baseball. It involved the Red Sox finishing 4th in the American League East with a record of 54 wins and 61 losses. The season was cut short by the infamous 1994 player's strike.
- 1 Offseason
- 2 Regular season
- 3 Player stats
- 4 Farm system
- 5 Awards and honors
- 6 Notes
- 7 References
- December 7, 1993: Otis Nixon was signed as a free agent by the Red Sox.
- February 1, 1994: Damon Berryhill was signed as a free agent by the Red Sox.
- February 10, 1994: Sergio Valdez was signed as a free agent by the Red Sox.
- March 29, 1994: Todd Frohwirth was signed as a free agent by the Red Sox.
- July 8, 1994: John Valentin of the Red Sox executed an unassisted triple play. He caught a line drive, touched second base, and tagged the runner coming from first base. In that same game, Alex Rodriguez made his major league baseball debut. Rodriguez appeared in three at-bats and had 0 hits.
By Friday, August 12, the Red Sox had compiled a 54-61 record with 552 runs scored (4.80 per game) and 621 runs allowed (5.40 per game).
|New York Yankees||70||43||0.619||—||33–24||37–19|
|Toronto Blue Jays||55||60||0.478||16||33–26||22–34|
|Boston Red Sox||54||61||0.470||17||31–33||23–28|
|New York Yankees||70||43||0.619|
|Chicago White Sox||67||46||0.593|
Wild Card teams|
(Top 2 qualify for 1-game playoff)
|Kansas City Royals||64||51||0.557||½|
|Toronto Blue Jays||55||60||0.478||9½|
|Boston Red Sox||54||61||0.470||10½|
- April 9, 1994: Mario Díaz was signed as a free agent by the Red Sox.
- May 25, 1994: Mario Díaz was released by the Red Sox.
- June 2, 1994: Nomar Garciaparra was drafted by the Red Sox in the 1st round (12th pick) of the 1994 Major League Baseball Draft. Player signed July 20, 1994.
- June 27, 1994: Greg Harris (pitcher, born 1955) was released by the Red Sox.
Opening Day lineup
|1994 Boston Red Sox|
Starters by position
Note: Pos = position; G = Games played; AB = At Bats; H = Hits; Avg. = Batting Average; HR = Home Runs; RBI = Runs Batted In
|Clemens, RogerRoger Clemens||24||170.2||9||7||2.85||168|
|Valdez, SergioSergio Valdez||12||0||1||0||8.16||4|
Awards and honors
- Otis Nixon page at Baseball Reference
- Damon Berryhill page at Baseball Reference
- Sergio Valdez page at Baseball Reference
- Todd Frohwirth page at Baseball Reference
- Unassisted Triple Plays by Baseball Almanac
- Alex Rodriguez Statistics and History - Baseball-Reference.com
- Box Score of Game played on Friday, July 8, 1994 at Fenway Park
- 1994 American League Season Summary - Baseball-Reference.com
- Mario Díaz page at Baseball Reference
- Nomar Garciaparra page at Baseball Reference
- Greg Harris page at Baseball Reference
- Johnson, Lloyd, and Wolff, Miles, ed., The Encyclopedia of Minor League Baseball, 3rd edition. Durham, N.C.: Baseball America, 2007
- Hutch Award
- 1994 Boston Red Sox team page at Baseball Reference
- 1994 Boston Red Sox season at baseball-almanac.com