1996 French Grand Prix
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Race 9 of 16 in the 1996 Formula One season|
|Date||June 30, 1996|
|Official name||LXXXII French Grand Prix|
|Location||Circuit de Nevers, Magny-Cours, France|
|Course||Permanent racing facility
4.250 km (2.641 mi)
|Distance||72 laps, 306.000 km (190.140 mi)|
|Time||1:18.610 on lap 40|
- Jacques Villeneuve crashed heavily at Estoril corner in qualifying, when the front end of his Williams went wide and smashed the left side of his car in the barriers. The car was repaired in time for race day.
- Eddie Irvine had qualified 10th, but was stripped of his qualifying times and put to the back of the grid after one of the air deflectors on his Ferrari was found to be too tall.
- Pole-sitter Michael Schumacher retired on the formation lap when his engine failed.
- Herbert was disqualified from 11th because of bodywork irregularities.
Standings after Grand Prix
- Bold text indicates who still has a theoretical chance of becoming World Champion.
- Note: Only the top five positions are included for both sets of standings.
- "F1 News – Grandprix.com > GP Encyclopedia > Races > French GP, 1996". Grandprix.com. Retrieved 2013-04-18.
1996 Canadian Grand Prix
|FIA Formula One World Championship
1996 British Grand Prix
1995 French Grand Prix
|French Grand Prix||Next race:
1997 French Grand Prix