1996 Texas Rangers season
|1996 Texas Rangers|
|1996 AL West Champions|
|Major League affiliations|
|Owner(s)||George W. Bush|
(Mark Holtz, Tom Grieve)
(Eric Nadel, Brad Sham )
(Luis Mayoral, Josue Perez)
|Previous season Next season|
The Texas Rangers 1996 season involved the Rangers finishing 1st in the American League west with a record of 90 wins and 72 losses. It would be the first post-season appearance for the Rangers in franchise history.
The Rangers would win their first post-season game at Yankee Stadium against the New York Yankees, but would lose the last three games to lose the division series. The one post-season win would be the club's only post-season success until 2010.
- 1 Offseason
- 2 Regular season
- 3 Player stats
- 4 ALDS
- 5 Awards and honors
- 6 Notes
- 7 Farm system
- 8 References
- October 8, 1995: Scott Podsednik was sent by the Rangers to the Florida Marlins to complete an earlier deal (the Rangers sent players to be named later to the Marlins for Bobby Witt, and sent Wilson Heredia to the Marlins on August 11) and made on August 8, 1995.
- December 21, 1995: Ken Hill was signed as a free agent by the Rangers.
- December 22, 1995: Mike Henneman was signed as a free agent by the Rangers.
- January 16, 1996: Kevin Elster was signed as a Free Agent with the Texas Rangers.
- April 13, 1996: Jack Voigt was signed as a free agent by the Rangers.
- June 4, 1996: Travis Hafner was drafted by the Rangers in the 31st round of the 1996 Major League Baseball Draft. Player signed June 2, 1997.
- July 31, 1996: Mark Brandenburg and Kerry Lacy were traded by the Rangers to the Boston Red Sox for Mike Stanton and a player to be named later. The Red Sox completed the deal by sending Dwayne Hosey to the Rangers on November 4.
|1996 Texas Rangers|
Starters by position
Note: Pos = position; G = Games played; AB = At Bats; H = Hits; Avg. = Batting Average; HR = Home Runs; RBI = Runs Batted In
Game 1, October 1
|WP: John Burkett (1-0) LP: David Cone (0-1)
Tex: Juan González (1), Dean Palmer (1)
Game 2, October 2
|WP: Brian Boehringer (1-0) LP: Mike Stanton (0-1)
Tex: Juan González (2, 3)
NYY: Cecil Fielder (1)
Game 3, October 4
|WP: Jeff Nelson (1-0) LP: Darren Oliver (0-1) Sv: John Wetteland (1)
NYY: Bernie Williams (1)
Tex: Juan González (4)
Game 4, October 5
|WP: David Weathers (1-0) LP: Roger Pavlik (0-1) Sv: John Wetteland (2)
NYY: Bernie Williams (2, 3)
Tex: Juan González (5)
Awards and honors
- Kevin Elster, Comeback Player of The Year
- Juan González, AL MVP
- Juan González, Silver Slugger Award
- Johnny Oates, AL Managers of the Year (was co-manager with Joe Torre)
- Iván Rodríguez, C, Gold Glove
- Iván Rodríguez, Silver Slugger Award
- Scott Podsednik page at Baseball Reference
- Ken Hill page at Baseball Reference
- Mike Henneman page at Baseball Reference
- Jack Voigt page at Baseball Reference
- Travis Hafner page at Baseball Reference
- Mike Stanton page at Baseball Reference
LEAGUE CHAMPIONS: Oklahoma City
Hudson Valley affiliation shared with Tampa Bay Devil Rays
- 1996 Texas Rangers team page at Baseball Reference
- 1996 Texas Rangers team page at www.baseball-almanac.com
- Johnson, Lloyd; Wolff, Miles, eds. (2007). The Encyclopedia of Minor League Baseball (3rd ed.). Durham, N.C.: Baseball America. ISBN 978-1-932391-17-6.
|AL West Championship Season