1996 Wimbledon Championships
|1996 Wimbledon Championships|
|Date:||24 June - 7 July|
|Category:||Grand Slam (ITF)|
London, United Kingdom
|Todd Woodbridge / Mark Woodforde|
|Martina Hingis / Helena Suková|
|Helena Suková / Cyril Suk|
|Daniele Bracciali / Jocelyn Robichaud|
|Olga Barabanschikova / Amélie Mauresmo|
|Gentlemen's Invitation Doubles|
|Wojciech Fibak / Tim Wilkison|
|Ladies' Invitation Doubles|
|Jo Durie / Anne Smith|
|Senior Gentlemen's Invitation Doubles|
|John Alexander / Sherwood Stewart|
The 1996 Wimbledon Championships was a tennis tournament played on grass courts at the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club in Wimbledon in London in England. It was the 110th edition of the Wimbledon Championships and was held from 24 June to 7 July 1996.
- 1 Notable stories
- 2 Seniors
- 3 Juniors
- 4 Other events
- 5 Notes
- 6 References
- 7 External links
Cliff Richard's impromptu concert
When rain interrupted play on Centre Court on 3 July with a crowd that included Prince Michael of Kent, Princess Michael of Kent and actress Joanna Lumley, Richard was approached by court officials for an interview. They suggested that he sing a song or two to entertain the crowd. With approval from his PR manager Cliff proceeded to start the performance, starting with Singin' in the Rain.
The performance ran for twenty minutes and consisted of Richard's classic hits such as Living Doll and Congratulations, as well as the Elvis Presley hit "All Shook Up". Past tennis stars Virginia Wade, Martina Navrátilová, Hana Mandlíková, Pam Shriver, Liz Smylie, Gigi Fernández and Conchita Martínez were in the Royal Box and proceeded to join in as background singers.
Richard was not aware that his performance was televised by the BBC, and after six songs presenter Des Lynam jokingly claimed "we'll probably get one hell of a bill." The performance made the front pages in many major British newspapers on the following day.
Since a retractable roof was completed on Centre Court in 2009 such a performance is unlikely to happen again.
- • It was Krajicek's 1st and only career Grand Slam singles title. He became the first Dutchman to win a Grand Slam singles title and the first Dutch singles winner since Kea Bouman in 1926.
- • It was Graf's 20th career Grand Slam singles title and her 7th and last title at Wimbledon.
- It was Woodbridge's 10th career Grand Slam title and his 5th Wimbledon title. It was Woodforde's 11th career Grand Slam title and his 4th Wimbledon title.
- • It was Hingis' 1st career Grand Slam doubles title.
- • It was Suková's 9th and last career Grand Slam doubles title and her 4th title at Wimbledon.
- • It was Suková's 4th career Grand Slam mixed doubles title and her 2nd title at Wimbledon.
- • It was Suk's 3rd career Grand Slam mixed doubles title and his 2nd title at Wimbledon.
Gentlemen's Invitation Doubles
Ladies' Invitation Doubles
Senior Gentlemen's Invitation Doubles
- Mauresmo reached the final in 2006 and she won.
1996 French Open
|Grand Slams||Succeeded by
1996 U.S. Open