1997 NCAA Division III football season
|1997 NCAA Division III football season|
|Regular season||August – November 1997|
|Playoffs||November – December 1997|
|Salem Football Stadium
|Champions||Mount Union (3)|
|Gagliardi Trophy||Bill Borchert (QB), Mount Union|
The 1997 NCAA Division III football season, part of the college football season organized by the NCAA at the Division III level in the United States, began in August 1997, and concluded with the NCAA Division III Football Championship, also known as the Stagg Bowl, in December 1997 at Salem Football Stadium in Salem, Virginia. The Mount Union Purple Raiders won their third, and second consecutive, Division III championship by defeating the Lycoming Warriors, 61−12.
The 1997 NCAA Division III Football Championship playoffs were the 25th annual single-elimination tournament to determine the national champion of men's NCAA Division III college football. The championship Stagg Bowl game was held at Salem Football Stadium in Salem, Virginia for the second time. As of 2014, Salem has remained the yearly host of the Stagg Bowl. Like the previous twelve tournaments, this year's bracket featured sixteen teams.
|National Championship Game
Salem Football Stadium
- 1997 NCAA Division I-A football season
- 1997 NCAA Division I-AA football season
- 1997 NCAA Division II football season
- "All-Time Division III Football Championship Records". NCAA. NCAA.org. pp. 4–15. Retrieved November 26, 2014.
- "1997 NCAA Division III National Football Championship Bracket". NCAA. NCAA.org. p. 14. Retrieved November 26, 2014.