1997 Oakland Athletics season
|1997 Oakland Athletics|
|Major League affiliations|
|General manager(s)||Sandy Alderson|
Sports Channel Pacific
(Ray Fosse, Greg Papa, Ken Wilson)
(Bill King, Ken Korach, Ray Fosse)
|Previous season Next season|
- October 2, 1996: Dane Johnson was selected off waivers by the Oakland Athletics from the Toronto Blue Jays.
- November 19, 1996: Mike Oquist was signed as a Free Agent with the Oakland Athletics.
- December 9, 1996: Frank Catalanotto was drafted by the Oakland Athletics from the Detroit Tigers in the 1996 rule 5 draft.
- January 27, 1997: John Wasdin was traded by the Oakland Athletics to the Boston Red Sox for Jose Canseco.
- March 21, 1997: Frank Catalanotto was returned (earlier draft pick) by the Oakland Athletics to the Detroit Tigers.
- March 27, 1997: Scott Service was selected off waivers by the Oakland Athletics from the Cincinnati Reds.
- April 4, 1997: Scott Service was selected off waivers by the Cincinnati Reds from the Oakland Athletics.
- April 8, 1997: Brent Mayne was signed as a Free Agent with the Oakland Athletics.
- June 3, 1997: Tim Hudson was drafted by the Oakland Athletics in the 6th round of the 1997 amateur draft. Player signed June 13, 1997.
- July 31, 1997 - Mark McGwire was traded by Oakland Athletics to the St. Louis Cardinals for Eric Ludwick, T.J. Mathews, and Blake Stein. McGwire had 34 home runs and 81 RBIs with Oakland at the time of the trade, which reunited him with former Athletics manager Tony La Russa.
- August 8, 1997: Tilson Brito was selected off waivers by the Oakland Athletics from the Toronto Blue Jays.
|1997 Oakland Athletics|
|= Indicates team leader|
Starters by position
Note: Pos = Position; G = Games played; AB = At bats; R = Runs scored; H = Hits; Avg. = Batting average; HR = Home runs; RBI = Runs batted in; SB = Stolen Bases
Note: G = Games played; AB = At bats; R = Runs scored; H = Hits; Avg. = Batting average; HR = Home runs; RBI = Runs batted in; SB = Stolen Bases
Note: G = Games pitched; IP = Innings pitched; W = Wins; L = Losses; ERA = Earned run average; BB = Bases on Balls; SO = Strikeouts
|Wojciechowski, SteveSteve Wojciechowski||2||10.1||0||2||7.84||1||5|
Note: G = Games pitched; IP = Innings pitched; W = Wins; L = Losses; ERA = Earned run average; SO = Strikeouts
Note: G = Games pitched; IP = Innings pitched; W = Wins; L = Losses; SV = Saves; ERA = Earned run average; SO = Strikeouts
Awards and records
- Mark McGwire, Major League record, 1st player to lead the Major Leagues in Home Runs but not lead the American League or National League in home runs
LEAGUE CHAMPIONS: Edmonton
- Frank Catalanotto Statistics - Baseball-Reference.com
- Scott Service Statistics - Baseball-Reference.com
- Sports Illustrated, Oct 27, 2008, p.24, Vol. 109, No. 16
- Tim Hudson Statistics - Baseball-Reference.com
- Great Baseball Feats, Facts and Figures, 2008 Edition, p.372, David Nemec and Scott latow, A Signet Book, Penguin Group, New York, NY, ISBN 978-0-451-22363-0
- 1997 Oakland Athletics team page at Baseball Reference
- 1997 Oakland Athletics team page at www.baseball-almanac.com
- Johnson, Lloyd; Wolff, Miles, eds. (2007). The Encyclopedia of Minor League Baseball (3rd ed.). Durham, N.C.: Baseball America. ISBN 978-1-932391-17-6.