1997 Texas Rangers season
|1997 Texas Rangers
|Major league affiliations|
|Owner(s)||George W. Bush|
Fox Sports Southwest
(Mark Holtz, Tom Grieve, Bill Jones)
(Eric Nadel, Brad Sham )
(Luis Mayoral, Josue Perez)
|Previous season Next season|
The Texas Rangers 1997 season involved the Rangers finishing 3rd in the American League west with a record of 77 wins and 85 losses. Despite not making the playoffs the club would set an all-time attendance record of over 2.945 million fans, which would be the franchise's best until 2011.
On a somber note, the club would lose long-time radio broadcaster Mark Holtz to leukemia during the season; however, in his final game in May the Rangers won, allowing him to sign off one final time with his trademark "Hello Win Column!".
- December 10, 1996: Billy Ripken was signed as a free agent by the Rangers.
- December 16, 1996: Scott Bailes was signed as a Free Agent with the Texas Rangers.
- December 19, 1996: Mike Simms was signed as a free agent by the Rangers.
- March 27, 1997: Dave Silvestri was selected off waivers by the Rangers from the Seattle Mariners.
 Regular season
- June 12, 1997: The first interleague game took place as the Texas Rangers hosted the San Francisco Giants at The Ballpark in Arlington (now Rangers Ballpark in Arlington).
 Opening Day starters
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (February 2011)|
 Season standings
 Notable transactions
- April 16, 1997: Alex Diaz was signed as a free agent by the Rangers.
- June 20, 1997: Todd Van Poppel was signed as a free agent by the Rangers.
- July 29, 1997: Ken Hill was traded by the Rangers to the Anaheim Angels for Jim Leyritz and a player to be named later. The Angels completed the deal by sending Rob Sasser to the Rangers on October 31.
 Draft Picks
- June 3, 1997: Mike Lamb was drafted by the Rangers in the 7th round of the 1997 Major League Baseball Draft. Player signed June 6, 1997.
|1997 Texas Rangers|
 Player stats
 Starters by position
Note: Pos = position; G = Games played; AB = At bats; H = Hits; Avg. = Batting average; HR = Home runs; RBI = Runs batted in
 Other batters
Note: G = Games played; AB = At bats; H = Hits; Avg. = Batting average; HR = Home runs; RBI = Runs batted in
 Starting pitchers
Note: G = Games pitched; IP = Innings pitched; W = Wins; L = Losses; ERA = Earned run average; SO = Strikeouts
 Other pitchers
 Relief pitchers
Note: G = Games pitched; W = Wins; L = Losses; SV = Saves; ERA = Earned run average; SO = Strikeouts
 Awards and honors
- Juan González, Silver Slugger Award
- Iván Rodríguez, C, Gold Glove
- Iván Rodríguez, Silver Slugger Award
 Farm system
- Billy Ripken page at Baseball Reference
- Mike Simms page at Baseball Reference
- Dave Silvestri page at Baseball Reference
- Alex Diaz page at Baseball Reference
- Todd Van Poppel page at Baseball Reference
- Ken Hill page at Baseball Reference
- Mike Lamb page at Baseball Reference
- 1997 Texas Rangers team page at Baseball Reference
- 1997 Texas Rangers team page at www.baseball-almanac.com
- Johnson, Lloyd; Wolff, Miles, eds. (2007). The Encyclopedia of Minor League Baseball (3rd ed.). Durham, N.C.: Baseball America. ISBN 978-1-932391-17-6.