The following are the football (soccer) events of the year 1998 throughout the world.
- 1998 World Cup – France wins 3–0 over Brazil in Saint-Denis, France, winning their first cup. More than a million delirious fans jammed the Champs-Élysées, dancing through the night.
- UEFA Champions League: Real Madrid won 1–0 in the final against Juventus. This was Real Madrid's 7th European Cup title.
- Copa Libertadores 1998: Won by Vasco da Gama after defeating Barcelona Sporting Club on an aggregate score of 4–1.
- Cup Winners' Cup: Chelsea beat Stuttgart 1–0 in the final, winning the cup for the second time.
- UEFA Cup: Inter Milan won 3–0 in the final against Lazio. This was Inter's third UEFA Cup title.
- European Super Cup: Chelsea beat Real Madrid 1–0, winning the cup for the first time.
- February 17 – Manchester City fires manager Frank Clark and appoints Joe Royle as his successor.
- May 16 – Arsenal beats Newcastle United 2–0 to win the FA Cup, achieving The Double.
- August 16 – PSV Eindhoven wins the Johan Cruijff Schaal, the annual opening of the new season in the Eredivisie, by a 2–0 win over Ajax Amsterdam in the Amsterdam ArenA.
- September 17 – SC Heerenveen makes a winning European debut with by defeating Poland's Amica Wronki (3–1) in the first round of the Cup Winners Cup.
- October 8 – Manager Arthur Jorge resigns at Dutch club Vitesse Arnhem and is succeeded by Herbert Neumann.
- October 10 – Frank Rijkaard makes his debut as the manager of Dutch national team, as the successor of Guus Hiddink, with a 2–0 friendly win over Peru in Eindhoven. One player makes his debut as well: striker Jeffrey Talan from SC Heerenveen.
- December 1 – Real Madrid wins the Intercontinental Cup in Tokyo, Japan by defeating Brazil's Vasco da Gama: 2–1. The winning goal for the Spaniards is scored by Raúl González in the 83rd minute.
- December 7 – Dutch club Sparta Rotterdam fires manager Hans van der Zee. He is replaced by Jan Everse on December 24.
Winner national club championships
National team results
- The men's national senior squad didn't play any matches in 1998