1 Assault Group Royal Marines
||This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2013)|
|1 Assault Group Royal Marines|
Cap Badge of the Royal Marines
|Role||Rapid reaction force/Home defence|
|Part of||Royal Marines|
|Nickname||The Royals, HM Jollies, Bootnecks, The Royal Machines|
|Motto||Per Mare Per Terram (By Sea By Land) (Latin)|
|March||Quick - A Life on the Ocean Wave
Slow - Preobrajensky
|Captain-General||HRH The Duke of Edinburgh|
|Commander||Colonel Garth Manger|
1 Assault Group Royal Marines (1AGRM) provides the Royal Marines expertise and training in small boat operations, both amphibious and riverine. In addition, it trains and parents the Assault Squadrons of the Royal Marines (ASRM) and their Landing Craft detachments. It has recently moved from Poole, Dorset to Devonport, Plymouth.
1 AGRM has its Headquarters in Devonport Naval Base, Plymouth, with training being delivered at three sites:
- 10 Landing Craft Training Squadron at RM Poole.
- 11 Amphibious Trials and Training Unit Royal Marines (ATTURM) based at Arromanches Camp, Instow, North Devon.
- Royal Navy Board and Search School, HMS Raleigh.
Furthermore, it is the parent unit (but does not have operational control) for the Assault Squadrons of the Royal Marines (ASRM):
- 4 ASRM providing landing craft support to HMS Bulwark
- 6 ASRM providing landing craft support to HMS Albion
- 9 ASRM providing landing craft support to HMS Ocean
- 539 ASRM providing integral amphibious support to 3 Commando Brigade
10 Landing Craft Training Squadron provide training accredited by the Royal Yachting Association for candidates to the landing craft specialisation. This training is delivered at various stages in the individual's career:
- LC3 at entry to the specialisation as a Marine
- LC2 at promotion to Corporal
- LC1 at promotion to Sergeant
Landing Craft Officer Qualifying course (LCOQ) is delivered to subalterns who opt to join the landing craft specialisation and prepares them for command of troops within the various squadrons or positions on the staff of Commander-in-Chief Fleet or 3 Commando Brigade.
 Additional Training Courses
10 LC Training Squadron also conducts other training tasks:
- Amphibious training for Royal Marines recruits, young officers and the All Arms Commando Course
- Small boat training for the Royal Navy, Army, Police and Customs
- Engineering and navigation training for the Assault Squadrons
- Specially-tailored LC Specialist training for 2 Raiding Troop from the Royal Marines Reserve
- Surface Manoeuvre expertise to the wider amphibious community
 See also