1 Assault Group Royal Marines
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2013)|
|1 Assault Group Royal Marines|
Cap Badge of the Royal Marines
|Role||Rapid reaction force/Home defence|
|Part of||Royal Marines|
|Garrison/HQ||Royal Marines Tamar|
|Nickname||The Royals, HM Jollies, Bootnecks, The Royal Machines|
|Motto||Per Mare Per Terram (By Sea By Land) (Latin)|
|March||Quick - A Life on the Ocean Wave
Slow - Preobrajensky
|Colonel Garth Manger|
|Captain-General||HRH The Duke of Edinburgh|
|Commander||Colonel Garth Manger|
1 Assault Group Royal Marines (1AGRM) provides the Royal Marines expertise and training in small boat operations, both amphibious and riverine. In addition, it trains and parents the Assault Squadrons of the Royal Marines (ASRM) and their Landing Craft detachments. It has recently moved from Poole, Dorset to Devonport, Plymouth.
1 AGRM has its Headquarters at RM TAMAR in Devonport Naval Base, Plymouth. The Group comprised both Training and Operational Squadrons.
Training is delivered at three sites:
- 10 (Landing Craft) Training Squadron at Royal Marines Tamar.
- 11 Amphibious Trials and Training Unit Royal Marines (ATTURM) based at Instoww in North Devon.
- Royal Navy Board and Search School, HMS Raleigh.
- 6 Ops Sqn, providing control eams and landing craft to the Landing Ship Dock (Auxiliary. 6 Ops Sqn is formed from 6 ASRM (HMS ALBN), currently at Extended Readness.
- 539 ASRM,providing the high readiness Boat Group to 3 Cdo Bde RM.
Furthermore, it is the Force Generation Authority for, but does not have operational control of, the afloat Assault Squadrons, Royal Marines (ASRM):
- 4 ASRM providing landing craft support to HMS Bulwark
- 9 ASRM providing landing craft support to HMS Ocean
10 Landing Craft Training Squadron provide training accredited by the Royal Yachting Association for candidates to the landing craft specialisation. This training is delivered at various stages in the individual's career:
- LC3 at entry to the specialisation as a Marine
- LC2 at promotion to Corporal
- LC1 at promotion to Sergeant
Landing Craft Officer Qualifying course (LCOQ) is delivered to subalterns who opt to join the landing craft specialisation and prepares them for command of troops within the various squadrons or positions on the staff of Fleet Commander or 3 Commando Brigade.
Additional Training Courses
10 LC Training Squadron also conducts other training tasks:
- Amphibious training for Royal Marines recruits, young officers and the All Arms Commando Course
- Small boat training for the Royal Navy, Army, Police and Customs
- Engineering and navigation training for the Assault Squadrons
- Specially-tailored LC Specialist training for 2 Raiding Troop from the Royal Marines Reserve
- Surface Manoeuvre expertise to the wider amphibious community
- 1 Assault Group