1 Thibault Square
|1 Thibault Square|
|Address||1 Thibault Square, Long & Hans Strydom Street|
|Town or city||Cape Town|
|Floor count||35, 32 above ground|
|Floor area||over 36,000 m/sq|
|Design and construction|
|Architecture firm||Fox Revel and Partners|
|Structural engineer||Ove Arup & Partners|
|Main contractor||Murray and Roberts|
1 Thibault Square, formally known as the LG Building and originally known as the BP Centre, is a 126.5 metre modernist skyscraper on the European-style Thibault Square at the end of St George’s Mall, Cape Town.
Work on the building began in 1969 and was completed in 1972. As of 2012 it is the tallest building in Cape Town and will be the second tallest once the Portside Tower is complete in 2014. The 34-degree diagonal twist, which puts it on a north-south axis, reduces sun loads on the façades, thereby reducing pressure on the air-conditioning system. To further shield the façades, a pre-cast screen is mounted on every floor, allowing good air flow and cutting off direct sun rays. This unique orientation also means that all the offices have views of either the mountain or the harbour, and that none stare straight into the façades of the surrounding buildings.
Flanked by John Skotness’s Mythological Landscape steel-and-bronze sculpture the piazza below is a favourite public space for office workers and visitors to the city, who flock to its cafe's and coffee shops throughout the day. The building provides a focal point for Thibault Square. In 2008 the building was acknowledged in a national survey by the South African Institute of Architecture to be one of the country’s "good buildings".
- "1 Thibault Square, Cape Town". Emporis. Retrieved 9 August 2012.
- "R25 million facelift for 1 Thibault Square". South Africa Property News. 8 February 2011. Retrieved 9 August 2012.
- "1 Thibault Square". The Skyscraper Center. Retrieved 9 August 2012.
- "Refurbished 1 Thibault Square fetches high rental renewals". Eprop. 16 February 2011. Retrieved 9 August 2012.
- View from the 22nd story of 1 Thibault Square