1st/15th Royal New South Wales Lancers
|1st/15th Royal New South Wales Lancers|
Cap badge of the 1st/15th Royal New South Wales Lancers
|Active||1885 – Present|
|Part of||5th Brigade|
|Motto||Tenax in Fide (Steadfast in Faith)|
|March||Quick – El Abanico
Slow – Scipio
|Anniversaries||3 March – Regimental Birthday|
|LTCOL Robert Lording|
|Colonel-in-Chief||HRH The Prince of Wales
|Col Lee Long|
|Unit Colour Patch|
The 1st/15th Royal New South Wales Lancers is a current Australian Army Reserve Light Cavalry (Reconnaissance) Regiment. The regiment is based at Lancer Barracks in Parramatta, a suburb in Western Sydney, New South Wales. Lancer Barracks is the oldest Military Barracks on mainland Australia and dates from 1819.
Description and history
The regiment has recently re-equipped with 4x4 Land Rover patrol vehicles as part of the conversion to a Light Cavalry (Reconnaissance) role. The last of the previously equipped vehicles, the M113A1 APC was handed over in 2006.
The regiment dates back to the formation of the Sydney Light Horse Volunteers in January 1885 and took its current name in 1956 when the 1st Royal New South Wales Lancers and the 15th Northern River Lancers amalgamated, initially being equipped with Matilda tanks. The 1st/15th RNSWL carries the former regiments' battle honours, and consequently has 31 collective battle honours, including those from the Boer War, First World War and Second World War.
The Regimental Band of the 1st/15th Royal New South Wales Lancers is one of the few RAAC regimental bands still in existence. It consists of Army Musicians who perform for Regimental functions, at public events, and for other Army Ceremonial tasks.
- Boer War: South Africa 1899–1902
- First World War: Anzac, Defence of Anzac, Suvla, Sari Bair, Gallipoli 1915, Rumani, Magdhaba-Rafah, Egypt 1915–17, Gaza-Beersheba, El Mughar, Nebi Samwil, Jerusalem, Jaffa, Jericho, Jordan (Es Salt), Jordan (Amman), Megiddo, Nablus, Palestine 1917–18
- Second World War: South West Pacific 1943–45, Finchaffen, Sattleberg, Wareo, Liberation of Australian New Guinea, Wareo-Lakona, Gusika-Fortification Point, Borneo, Balikpapan, Milford Highway
The regiment is currently located as follows:
- Regimental Headquarters and Band — Lancer Barracks, Parramatta
- A Squadron — Lancer Barracks, Parramatta
- B Squadron — HMAS Harman, Canberra
- "1st RNSWL". New South Wales Lancers Memorial Museum. 2010. Retrieved 15 June 2010.