1st Fighter Squadron
|1st Fighter Squadron|
1st Fighter Squadron Patch
|Active||1944 – 46
1954 – 59
1984 – 2006
|Branch||United States Air Force|
|Engagements||World War II|
|Charles E. "Chuck" Yeager|
The 1 FS provided fully qualified F-15 Eagle pilots for worldwide assignment by conducting formal ground, simulator, and flight training.
The 1st flew P-47 Thunderbolt aircraft during World War II. While based on Ie Shima the 1 FS launched Thunderbolts against the Japanese, amassing almost 1,200 combat air patrol, bombing, strafing, and escort missions. During this era, the squadron emblem was "Miss Fury," the mythical Greek goddess of vengeance. The 1 FS was inactivated on 15 October 1946, after the war had ended.
The 1 FS was activated as part of the 413th Fighter-Day Wing on 11 November 1954. The squadron trained pilots, in the F-86 Sabre from 1954 to 1956 and the F-100 Super Sabre from 1956 to 1959. The 1st operated out of George Air Force Base, California, until it was again inactivated on 15 March 1959, with Lieutenant Colonel Charles E. "Chuck" Yeager as commander.
On 17 September 1991, the operations and maintenance functions of the 1st joined to form a combined squadron. The squadron continued to train F-15 pilots for the combat air forces and received several honors, such as earning the Air Force Maintenance Effectiveness Award for 1998, Nineteenth Air Force Top Operations Squadron of the Year for 1998, and 325th Fighter Wing Fighter Squadron of the Year for 1995, 1997, and 1998.
Other notable accomplishments include receiving the U. S. Air Force Air Flight Safety of the Year award for 2002, as well as recognition for best intelligence mission report. Also, members received by-name recognition during the 2003 Headquarters Air Education and Training Command Operational Readiness Inspection.
The 1st Fighter Squadron was inactivated on 15 December 2006.
- 1st Fighter Squadron, Single Engine (1944–1954)
- 1st Fighter-Day Squadron (1954–1958)
- 1st Tactical Fighter Squadron (1958–1983)
- 1st Tactical Fighter Training Squadron (1983–1991)
- 1st Fighter Squadron (1991–2006)
- 413th Fighter Group (1944–1946)
- 413th Tactical Fighter Wing (1954–1959)
- Attached: 16th Air Force (27 June – c. 12 November 1958)
- 325th Fighter Wing (1984–2006)
- Seymour Johnson Field, North Carolina (1944)
- Bluethenthal Field, North Carolina (1944–1945)
- Ie Shima Airfield, Okinawa, (1945)
- Kadena Air Base, Okinawa (1945–1946)
- Yontan Airfield, Okinawa, (1946)
- George Air Force Base, California (1954–1959)
- Tyndall Air Force Base, Florida (1984–2006)
- P-47 Thunderbolt (1944–1946)
- F-86 Sabre (1954–1956)
- F-100 Super Sabre (1956–1959)
- F-15 Eagle (1984–2006)
- 1st Helicopter Squadron, redesignated