1st Foreign Engineer Regiment
|1st Foreign Engineer Regiment
(1er Régiment étranger de génie)
Regimental badge of 1er REG
|Active||1 October 1939 – 1 January 1942
1 April 1949 – June 1955
1 July 1984 – Present
|Part of||6th Light Armoured Brigade|
|Garrison/HQ||Quartier General Rollet, Laudun, France|
|Motto||Ad unum (To the end)|
|Colors||Green & Red|
|Anniversaries||Camerone Day (April 30)|
*War in Afghanistan
|Battle honours||Camerone 1863|
|Beret badge of 1st Foreign Engineer Regiment|
The 1st Foreign Engineer Regiment (French: 1er Régiment étranger de génie, 1er REG) is one of two combat engineer regiments in the French Foreign Legion. It provides the combat engineering component of the 6th Light Armoured Brigade. Currently stationed at Quartier General Rollet in Laudun-l'Ardoise, Gard, southern France.
6th Foreign Infantry Regiment
It was created on 1 October 1939 in Lebanon as the 6th Foreign Infantry Regiment. The manpower came from 3 battalions of the 1st Foreign Infantry Regiment and one from 2nd Foreign Infantry Regiment, and Clayton (1988:133) says it possessed its own light artillery. It was disbanded 1 January 1942 after the British success in the Syria-Lebanon Campaign and its soldiers were transferred into the 1st Foreign Regiment and Foreign Legion depots. Clayton (1988:136) says that some 690 of the 6th Etranger opted for Charles de Gaulle.
It was recreated on 1 April 1949 in Tunisia from elements of the 1st Foreign Regiment as a reception/transit pool for Indochina drafts. In 1954-55 a single battalion operated against Tunisian insurgents before being disbanded again in June 1955.
6th Foreign Engineer Regiment
On 1 July 1984 the 6th Foreign Engineer Regiment was created, which inherited the traditions of the 6th Foreign Infantry Regiment. The regiment took part in the Gulf War as part of Opération Daguet.
1st Foreign Engineer Regiment
- Compagnie de Commandement et de Logistique (CCL) – Command and Logistics Company
- Compagnie d'Administration et de Soutien (CAS) – Administrative and Services Company
- 1er Compagnie de Combat – 1st Combat Company (3 combat sections, a support section and a command section)
- 2e Compagnie de Combat – 2nd Combat Company (3 combat sections, a support section and a command section)
- 3e Compagnie de Combat – 3rd Combat Company (3 combat sections, a support section and a command section)
- Compagnie d'Appui (CA) – Support Company
- 5e Compagnie – 5th Reserve Company
Similar Operating Units
- Kuwait 25th Commando Brigade; during Koweït 1990–1991
- Lebanese Commando Regiment; during Lebanon 1982-1984.
- Camerone is a Battle Honour shared by all Foreign Legion regiments, no matter when formed.
- "Les subordinations". Retrieved 2011-12-30.
- "La Garrison". Retrieved 2011-12-30.
- Windrow, Martin (1996). French Foreign Legion Since 1945. p. 45.
- "Le drapeau du 1er REG". Retrieved 2011-12-30.
- "Structure du 1er régiment étranger de génie". Retrieved 2011-12-30.
-  History of the 1st Foreign Engineer Regiment(Historique du 1er Régiment Etranger de Génie)
- Windrow, Martin (1996). French Foreign Legion Since 1945. Oxford: Osprey Publishing. ISBN 1-85532-621-3.
- Anthony Clayton, France, Soldiers, and Africa. Brassey's Defence Publishers, 1988
- Official website - 1er Régiment étranger de génie