1st Foreign Regiment
|1st Foreign regiment
(1er Régiment étranger)
Regimental badge of 1er RE
|Active||1841 - present|
|Motto||Honneur et Fidélité (Honour and loyalty)|
|Colors||Green & Red|
|Anniversaries||Camerone Day (April 30) and Christmas|
|Beret badge of the 1st Foreign Regiment|
The 1st Foreign Regiment (French: 1er Régiment étranger, 1er RE) is the senior regiment of the French Foreign Legion. Today the regiment is mainly administrative, and provides staff for the Command of the Foreign Legion.
The regiment represents a major stage in a legionnaire's service. He begins his career at the Center of Selection and Incorporation (CSI), and returns at the end of it.
In 1841 the Foreign Legion was reorganized into the 1st and 2nd Foreign Regiments. The two regiments provided three battalions each for the Crimean Campaign of 1854-56. Both regiments took part in the Magenta Campaign of 1859. After returning to Algeria the 1er RE was so weakened by losses it was disbanded in 1861, the remaining men joining the 2e RE in Sidi-Bel-Abbès and being re-titled Foreign Regiment (French: Régiment étranger, RE).
In October 1933 Sidi-bel-Abbes became the main depot for the whole Legion. Through World War II 1er REI remained there. It continued as the main depot for the wars in Indo-China and Algeria. After Algerian independence the regiment left for Aubagne, France in October, 1962.
The regiment consists of three companies, as follows:
- Compagnie de Commandement et des Services Régimentaire (CCSR) - Regimental Command and Services Company
- Compagnie des Services de la Légion Étrangère (CSLE) - Foreign Legion Services Company
- Compagnie Administrative du Personnel de la Légion Étrangère (CAPLE) - Foreign Legion Personnel Administration Company
It also runs the following:
- Institution des Invalides de la Légion Étrangère (IILE) à Puyloubier - Foreign Legion Invalid Institution, at Puyloubier
- Centre d’Hébergement et d’Accueil de la Légion Étrangère (CHALE) à la Ciotat - Foreign Legion Accommodation & Welcome Center, at Ciotat
- Centre des Permissionnaires de la Légion Étrangère de la Malmousque (CPLEM) à Marseille - Foreign Legion Leave Center, at Malmousque
Also reported within the regiment is the Foreign Legion Emergency Staff and Statistics Division, a Legion intelligence section.
- Sevastopol 1855
- Kabilie 1857
- Magenta 1859
- Camerone 1863
- Extrême-Orient 1884-1885
- Dahomy-Maroc 1892-1907, 1925
- Madagascar 1895-1905
- Orient 1915-17
- Windrow, Martin (1971). French Foreign Legion. Oxford: Osprey Publishing. ISBN 0-85045-051-9.
- Official website - 1er Régiment étranger
- French Foreign Legion recruitment portal
- Képi Blanc magazine