The 1st Annual Emmy Awards, retroactively known as the 1st Annual Primetime Emmy Awards after the debut of the Daytime Emmys, were presented at the Hollywood Athletic Club in Los Angeles, California on January 25, 1949. Only shows produced in Los Angeles County, California and aired in the Los Angeles media market were eligible to win. The awards were hosted by Walter O'Keefe who substituted for Rudy Vallee when he had to leave town at the last minute.
Nominations and winners
|Most Popular Television Program
||Best Film Made for Television
- Pantomime Quiz, (KTLA)
- Armchair Detective, (KTLA)
- Don Lee Music Hall, (KTLA)
- Felix De Cola Show, (KTLA)
- Judy Splinters, (KTLA)
- Mabel's Fables, (KTLA)
- Masked Spooner, (KTLA)
- Treasure of Literature, (KTLA)
- Tuesday Varieties, (KTLA)
- What's the Name of that Song, (KTLA)
- The Necklace (Your Show Time Series)
- Christopher Columbus
- Hollywood Brevities
- It Could Happen To You
- Tell Tale Heart
- Time Signal
McManus was presented with a plaque as an award instead of a copy of the very statue which he was being honored for.
- KTLA for outstanding overall performance in 1948.
- Charles Mesak and Don Lee for Phasefader.