1st Signal Brigade (United States)
|1st Signal Brigade|
1st Signal Brigade unit insignia
|Active||1966 – present|
|Branch||United States Army|
|Part of||Eighth United States Army|
|Garrison/HQ||Yongsan Garrison, South Korea|
|Nickname||"First to Communicate"|
|Colonel Paul H. Fredenburgh|
|Distinctive unit insignia|
The 1st Signal Brigade ("First to Communicate") is a military communications brigade of the United States Army subordinate to the Eighth United States Army and located at Yongsan Garrison in South Korea.
The 1st Signal Brigade was activated on 1 April 1966 in the Republic of Vietnam. The brigade's mission in Vietnam was to originate, install, operate, and maintain a complex communication system that fused tactical and strategic communications in Southeast Asia under a single, unified command. The formation of the brigade brought together three signal groups that were already in South Vietnam.
At the peak of the Vietnam War the brigade consisted of more than 21,000 soldiers, in six Signal groups (including the 160th Signal Group), 22 signal battalions and several communications agencies, making the 1st Signal Brigade the largest signal unit in the U.S. Army at the time.
South Korea to present
In November 1972 the brigade was relocated to the Republic of Korea under the U.S. Army Strategic Communications Command. On 29 January 1973 the 1st Signal Brigade was reestablished by General Order 56 from HQ, USASTRATCOM. The brigade's mission in South Korea is to provide communications support to the United Nations Command, U.S. Forces Korea and the Eight U.S. Army. The brigade was also given the mission of installing, maintaining and operating the Defense Communications System in South Korea.
- 1st Signal Brigade
§** 221st Signal Company Pictorial(Vietnam)
- Constituted 26 March 1966 in the Regular Army as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 1st Signal Brigade
- Activated 1 April 1966 in Vietnam
Campaign participation credit
- Counteroffensive, Phase II
- Counteroffensive, Phase III
- Tet Counteroffensive
- Counteroffensive, Phase IV
- Counteroffensive, Phase V
- Counteroffensive, Phase VI
- Tet 69/Counteroffensive
- Summer‐Fall 1969
- Winter‐Spring 1970
- Sanctuary Counteroffensive
- Counteroffensive, Phase VII
- Consolidation I
- Consolidation II
- Meritorious Unit Commendation (Army), Streamer embroidered VIETNAM 1966‐1967
- Meritorious Unit Commendation (Army), Streamer embroidered VIETNAM 1967‐1969
- Meritorious Unit Commendation (Army), Streamer embroidered VIETNAM 1970‐1972
- Army Superior Unit Award, Streamer embroidered 2007
- "Special Unit Designations". United States Army Center of Military History. 21 April 2010. Archived from the original on 9 June 2010. Retrieved 23 June 2010.
- John Pike. "1st Signal Brigade". Globalsecurity.org. Retrieved 20 May 2011.