2000 IPC Ice Sledge Hockey World Championships
|Dates||March 20 – March 25, 2000|
|Venue(s)||1 (in 1 host city)|
The 2nd IPC Ice Sledge Hockey World Championships was held between March 20, 2000 and March 25, 2000 at the E Center in West Valley City, Utah, USA. 2002 Winter Olympics host Salt Lake City, hosted these Championships as the first test event for the Paralympic Winter Games in 2002. Participating countries: Canada, Estonia, Japan, Norway, Sweden and USA.
Canada beat Norway 2-1 to win the gold medal. The game went into overtime and more than 6,000 fans cheered on as Canada’s Shawn Matheson scored the winning goal. The victory gave Canada, the country that created the sport, its first gold medal in sledge hockey, and avenged a gold-medal loss to Norway at the 1998 Paralympics in Nagano. Sweden grabbed the bronze by beating Japan 5-1, while Estonia squared off with the United States to take 5th place.
- Sledge hockey
- Ice hockey#Sledge hockey
- 1996 IPC Ice Sledge Hockey World Championships
- Ice sledge hockey at the 2002 Winter Paralympics
- 2004 IPC Ice Sledge Hockey World Championships
- Ice sledge hockey at the 2006 Winter Paralympics
- 2008 IPC Ice Sledge Hockey World Championships