2000 Malibu Road
|2000 Malibu Road|
|Created by||Terry Louise Fisher|
|Written by||Kimberly Costello
Terry Louise Fisher
|Directed by||Joel Schumacher|
Michael T. Weiss
|Theme music composer||John Newton Howard|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||6|
|Executive producer(s)||Terry Louise Fisher
E. Duke Vincent
|Running time||22–24 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Fisher Entertainment
Joel Schumacher Productions
|Original release||August 23, 1992– September 9, 1992|
2000 Malibu Road is a prime time American soap opera that aired on CBS in the summer of 1992. The series stars Drew Barrymore, Jennifer Beals, Brian Bloom, Scott Bryce, Lisa Hartman, Tuesday Knight, and Michael T. Weiss.
The show deals with four women living together at a beach house located at 2000 Malibu Road: Jade (Lisa Hartman), a former prostitute trying to get out of the profession; Perry (Jennifer Beals), a young lawyer also escaping from her past (i.e. a slain fiance police officer and a serious drinking problem); Lindsay (Drew Barrymore), a would-be actress trying to get the right break; and Joy (Tuesday Knight), Lindsay's overweight, overprotective, two-faced, manipulative sister, who also served as her agent. Jade owned the house. In order to leave her profession as a high priced prostitute, she took in roommates to help her pay for the house.
The series ended with several unresolved cliffhangers: Roger (Michael T. Weiss) was seen raping and beating Perry in a stairwell. Meanwhile, Porter's (Mitch Ryan) men shot Hal (Robert Foxworth) dead, and after arguing with Lindsay upon discovering she was sleeping with Eric (Brian Bloom), Joy was struck by lightning. Lisa Hartman provided a closing narration to serve as a (perfunctory) tie-up for the characters, though possibly only on overseas broadcasts.
The series premiere earned decent ratings but ratings fell from there and it was canceled after six episodes. According to executive producer Aaron Spelling, producers could not come to terms on license fees. However, Lisa Hartman had another version: as 2000 Malibu Road was facing Melrose Place in the same timeslot, Spelling was competing with himself and didn't want to weaken the ratings of Melrose Place.
- Lisa Hartman ... Jade O'Keefe
- Drew Barrymore ... Lindsay Rule
- Jennifer Beals ... Perry Quinn
- Tuesday Knight ... Joy Rule
- Brian Bloom ... Eric Adler
- Scott Bryce ... Scott Sterling
- Michael T. Weiss ... Roger Tabor
- Ron Marquette ... Sgt. Joe Munoz
- Robert Foxworth ... Hal Lanford
- Constance Towers ... Camilla
- Mitch Ryan ... Porter
- To Be DIScontinued! - The Hall of Unresolved TV Cliffhangers: 1990-95
- Usenet post on 2000 Malibu Road in alt.tv.melrose-place
- Spelling, Aaron; Graham, Jefferson (2002). Aaron Spelling: A Prime-Time Life. Macmillan. p. 223. ISBN 0-312-31344-6.
- "Sing no sad songs for Lisa Hartman Black". The Nevada Daily Mail. 1993-03-21.