2000 Tampa Bay Devil Rays season
|2000 Tampa Bay Devil Rays|
|Major League affiliations|
|Local television||FSN Florida
(Joe Magrane, Dewayne Staats)
(Paul Olden, Charlie Slowes)
(Ricardo Tavares, Enrique Oliu)
|< Previous season Next season >|
The 2000 Tampa Bay Devil Rays season was their 3rd since the franchise was created. This season, they finished last in the AL East division, and managed to finish the season with a record of 69-92. Their manager were Larry Rothschild, who entered his 3rd year with the club. This season is sometimes referred to as the "Hit Show" because the club signed several big-name sluggers in hopes of the team putting up better offensive numbers.
- 1 Offseason
- 2 Regular season
- 3 Player stats
- 4 Farm system
- 5 References
- December 13, 1999: Scott McClain was released by the Tampa Bay Devil Rays.
- March 31, 2000: Billy Taylor was signed as a Free Agent with the Tampa Bay Devil Rays.
On September 28, 2000, the Yankees played the Devil Rays at Tampa Bay. In the top of the 2nd inning, Jose Canseco was walked. Tino Martinez then hit a double to center field. The ball was fielded by Gerald Williams and relayed to Mike DiFelice. He tagged Jose Canseco at the plate and proceeded to tag out Tino Martinez who was running right behind Canseco. Mike DiFelice tagged both runners out at the plate.
|New York Yankees||87||74||.540||--|
|Boston Red Sox||85||77||.525||2.5|
|Toronto Blue Jays||83||79||.512||4.5|
|Tampa Bay Devil Rays||69||92||.429||18.0|
- April 13, 2000: Dwight Gooden was purchased by the Tampa Bay Devil Rays from the Houston Astros.
- May 25, 2000: Dwight Gooden was released by the Tampa Bay Devil Rays.
- June 5, 2000: Rocco Baldelli was drafted by the Tampa Bay Devil Rays in the 1st round (6th pick) of the 2000 amateur draft. Player signed June 19, 2000.
Opening Day starters
- Miguel Cairo
- Jose Canseco
- John Flaherty
- Juan Guzmán
- Dave Martinez
- Fred McGriff
- Herbert Perry
- Kevin Stocker
- Greg Vaughn
- Gerald Williams
2000 Series split 3-3
- June 9- @ Devil Rays 6- Marlins 4
- June 10- Marlins 5- @ Devil Rays 1
- June 11- @ Devil Rays 7- Marlins 6
- July 7- Devil Rays 8- @ Marlins 3
- July 8- @ Marlins 6- Devil Rays 5
- July 9- @ Marlins 10- Devil Rays 9
|2000 Tampa Bay Devil Rays|
|= Indicates team leader|
Starters by position
Note: Pos = position; G = Games played; AB = At Bats; R = Runs; H = Hits; HR = Home Runs; RBI = Runs Batted In; Avg. = Batting Average; SB = Stolen Bases
0 ||41|| .253 || 3
Note: G = Games played; AB = At Bats; R = Runs; H = Hits; Avg. = Batting Average; HR = Home Runs; RBI = Runs Batted In; SB = Stolen Bases
- Rocco Baldelli Statistics - Baseball-Reference.com
- Johnson, Lloyd, and Wolff, Miles, ed., The Encyclopedia of Minor League Baseball, 3rd edition. Durham, N.C.: Baseball America, 2007