2000 in video gaming
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (December 2009)|
|List of years in video gaming (table)|
|... 1990 . 1991 . 1992 . 1993 . 1994 . 1995 . 1996 ...
1997 1998 1999 -2000- 2001 2002 2003
... 2004 . 2005 . 2006 . 2007 . 2008 . 2009 . 2010 ...
|Art . Archaeology . Architecture . Literature . Music . Philosophy . Science +...|
- February 4, 2000 – 1st annual Dreamcast Championships (featuring the Sonic Adventure video game).
- March 2000 – Game Network hosts the 2nd annual Independent Games Festival (IGF).
- March 4, 2000 – Sony's PlayStation 2 (PS2) launches in Japan with 10 launch titles.
- April 2000 – Nintendo sells its 100 millionth Game Boy handheld console.
- April 16, 2000 – Reuters reports that the PlayStation 2 console will export controls by Trade Ministry of Japan since the PS2 is sophisticated enough for military application.
- May 11, 2000 – Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences hosts the 3rd Annual Interactive Achievement Awards inducts Hironobu Sakaguchi of Square Enix to the AIAS Hall of Fame.
- May 11–13, 2000 – 6th annual Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3); the 3rd annual Game Critics Awards for the Best of E³.
- June 26, 2000 – International Game Developers Association renamed from Computer Game Developers Association.
- June 30, 2000 –Nintendo's Satellaview system ceases to receive broadcasts.
- July 2000 – IEMA (Interactive Entertainment Merchants Association) hosts 1st annual Executive Summit.
- September 10, 2000 – Sega.com launches SegaNet, their online console gaming network.
- NPD Group, Inc. reports that Electronic Arts ranks 1st in third-party video game publishing in the USA, ahead of Infogrames Entertainment SA.
- British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA) hosts the 3rd annual BAFTA Interactive Entertainment Awards for multimedia technologies; 7 of 20 awards go to video games; awards David Bowie in part for his contributions to the video game Omikron: The Nomad Soul (for PC).
|Release||Title||Windows||5th Gen||6th Gen||Handheld||Arcade|
|January 18||South Park Rally||Yes||PS1, N64, PC||DC||N/A||N/A|
|January 22||Need for Speed: Porsche Unleashed||Yes||PS1||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|January 24||Mario Party 2||N/A||N64||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|February 3||Resident Evil Code: Veronica||N/A||N/A||DC; PS2 (2001); GC (2003)||N/A||N/A|
|February 4||The Sims||Yes||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|February 10||Vagrant Story||N/A||PS1||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|February 29||Rayman 2: The Great Escape||N/A||N/A||DC||N/A||N/A|
|February 29||Resident Evil Code: Veronica||N/A||N/A||DC||N/A||N/A|
|February 29||Pokémon Stadium||N/A||N64||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|March 21||Thief II: The Metal Age||Yes||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|March 24||Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards||N/A||N64||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|March 24||Need for Speed: Porsche Unleashed||Yes||PS1||N/A||GBA (2003)||N/A|
|March 27||Soldier of Fortune||Yes||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|April 27||The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask||N/A||N64||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|May 22||Perfect Dark||N/A||N64||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|June 1||Ground Control||Yes||PC||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|June 7||Dracula: Resurrection||Yes||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|June 13||Shogun: Total War||Yes||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|June 26||Deus Ex||Yes||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|June 29||Diablo II||Yes||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|June 29||Icewind Dale||Yes||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|June 29||Jet Set Radio||N/A||N/A||DC||N/A||N/A|
|June 29||Marvel vs Capcom 2||N/A||N/A||DC||N/A||N/A|
|June 30||Homeworld: Cataclysm||Yes||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|July 7||Final Fantasy IX||N/A||PS1||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|July 18||Threads of Fate||N/A||PS1||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|August 16||Chrono Cross||N/A||PS1||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|August 24||Age of Empires II: The Conquerors||Yes||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|August 26||Dragon Quest VII||N/A||PS1||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|September 15||Star Trek: Voyager - Elite Force||Yes||N/A||PS2 (2001)||N/A||N/A|
|September 19||Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2||N/A||PS1||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|September 24||Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn||Yes||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|October 5||Skies of Arcadia||N/A||N/A||DC||N/A||N/A|
|October 6||American McGee's Alice||Yes||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|October 23||Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2||Yes||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|October 24||Mega Man Legends 2||Yes||PS1||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|October 25||Spyro: Year of the Dragon||N/A||PS1||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|November 6||Capcom vs. SNK: Millennium Fight 2000||N/A||PS1 (2002)||DC||N/A||N/A|
|November 6||Crash Bash||N/A||PS1||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|November 9||The Operative: No One Lives Forever||Yes||N/A||PS2 (2002)||N/A||N/A|
|November 17||Tomb Raider Chronicles||Yes||PS1||DC||N/A||N/A|
|November 19||Hitman: Codename 47||N/A||PC||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|November 20||Banjo Tooie||N/A||N64||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|November 23||MechWarrior 4: Vengeance||Yes||N/A||N/A||N/A||Yes|
|December 6||Grandia II||2002||N/A||DC; PS2 (2002)||N/A||N/A|
|December 7||Giants: Citizen Kabuto||Yes||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|December 7||Mario Party 3||N/A||N64||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|December 14||Dark Cloud||N/A||N/A||PS2||N/A||N/A|
|December 21||Phantasy Star Online||2001||N/A||DC||N/A||N/A|
- December 9 — Bandai's WonderSwan Color handheld in Japan is released.
- Sega's Naomi 2 arcade console is released.
- Toymax's Activision TV Games controller/console.
- Electronic Arts Inc. acquires DreamWorks Interactive, LLC (games division of DreamWorks SKG).
- Infogrames, Inc. acquires Hasbro Interactive, Inc. (including the Game.com division and the rights to the Atari label); Infogrames also acquires Paradigm Entertainment, Inc.
- Microsoft Corporation acquires Bungie Software Products Corp.
- Nvidia Corporation acquires 3dfx Interactive, Inc.
- Sony Corporation acquires Verant Interactive, Inc.
- Looking Glass Studios goes out of business.
- THQ Inc. acquires Volition.
- Ubi Soft Entertainment, Inc. acquires Red Storm Entertainment, Inc.
- SNK goes out of business.
- PopCap Games founded.
- 21-6 Productions founded.
- Sega Rosso renamed (formerly Sega's AM5 team).
- Smilebit founded (formerly Sega's AM6 R&D division).
- Yeti Interactive founded.
- Mattel, Inc. sells The Learning Company to Gores Technology Group.
- All of Sega's internal consumer research & development divisions become individual developer companies.
- Midway / Williams announces to cease the Atari Games label.