|Discovery date||February 1, 2001|
|MPC designation||2001 DH47|
|Minor planet category||Martian L5|
|Epoch April 18, 2013 (JD 2456400.5)|
|Semi-major axis||1.5237644 AU|
|Orbital period||1.88 yr|
|Longitude of ascending node||147.42910°|
|Argument of perihelion||17.59104°|
|Absolute magnitude (H)||19.7|
Discovery, orbit and physical properties
2001 DH47 was discovered on February 1, 2001 by the Spacewatch program, observing from Steward Observatory, Kitt Peak and classified as Mars-crosser by the Minor Planet Center. Its orbit is characterized by low eccentricity (0.035), moderate inclination (24.4º) and a semi-major axis of 1.52 AU. Its orbit is well determined as it is currently (March 2013) based on 45 observations with a data-arc span of 3,148 days. It has an absolute magnitude of 19.7 which gives a characteristic diameter of 562 m.
Mars trojan and orbital evolution
It was identified as Mars Trojan by H. Scholl, F. Marzari and P. Tricarico in 2005 and its dynamical half-lifetime was found to be of the order of the age of the Solar System. Recent calculations  confirm that it is indeed a stable L5 Mars Trojan with a libration period of 1365 yr and an amplitude of 11º. These values as well as its short-term orbital evolution are very similar to those of 5261 Eureka.
Long-term numerical integrations show that its orbit is very stable on Gyr time-scales (1 Gyr = 1 billion years). As in the case of Eureka, calculations in both directions of time (4.5 Gyr into the past and 4.5 Gyr into the future) indicate that 2001 DH47 may be a primordial object, perhaps a survivor of the planetesimal population that formed in the terrestrial planets region early in the history of the Solar System.
- Dynamics of Mars Trojans
- de la Fuente Marcos, C.; de la Fuente Marcos, R. (April 2013). "Three new stable L5 Mars Trojans". Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society: Letters 432 (1): L31–L35. arXiv:1303.0124. Bibcode:2013MNRAS.432L..31D. doi:10.1093/mnrasl/slt028.
- MPC data on 2001 DH47
- JPL's Solar System Dynamics data on 2001 DH47
- Further reading
- 2001 DH47 Ivashchenko, Y., Ostafijchuk, P., Spahr, T. B. 2007, Minor Planet Electronic Circular, 2007-P09.
- Dynamics of Mars Trojans Scholl, H., Marzari, F., Tricarico, P. 2005, Icarus, Volume 175, Issue 2, p. 397-408.
- Three new stable L5 Mars Trojans de la Fuente Marcos, C., de la Fuente Marcos, R. 2013, Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society: Letters, Vol. 432, Issue 1, pp. 31–35.