2001 NBA Draft
|2001 NBA Draft|
|Date(s)||June 27, 2001|
|Time||7:30 pm (EDT)|
|Location||Madison Square Garden in New York City, New York|
|First selection||Kwame Brown, Washington Wizards|
The 2001 NBA Draft took place on June 27, 2001 in New York City, New York. Kwame Brown became the first high school player drafted with the first overall pick. Brown's selection by the Washington Wizards over players that have gone on to have more successful NBA careers has been a source of great criticism, with Brown having been widely labeled one of the worst draft busts in NBA history. Several international players, Pau Gasol (Spain), Tony Parker (France) and Mehmet Okur (Turkey) became NBA All-Stars. This was the last draft the Vancouver Grizzlies participated in while in their original city; their move to Memphis was finalized several weeks later.
|G||Guard||PG||Point guard||SG||Shooting guard||F||Forward||SF||Small forward||PF||Power forward||C||Center|
|^||Denotes player who has been inducted to the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame|
|*||Denotes player who has been selected for at least one All-Star Game and All-NBA Team|
|+||Denotes player who has been selected for at least one All-Star Game|
|x||Denotes player who has been selected for at least one All-NBA Team|
|#||Denotes player who never played in the NBA|
Notable undrafted players 
These players were not selected in the draft but have played at least four seasons in the NBA, have been recognized in the All-Star or All-NBA teams, or have started a majority of games played in a season.
|Carlos Arroyo||PG||Puerto Rico||Florida International (Sr.)|
|Charlie Bell||G||United States||Michigan State (Sr.)|
|Maurice Evans||SG/SF||United States||Texas (Jr.)|
|Linton Johnson||SF||United States||Tulane (Sr.)|
|Jamario Moon||SF||United States||Meridian CC (Fr.)|
|Andrés Nocioni||SF/PF||Argentina||Bàsquet Manresa (Spain)|
Notes and references 
- "Biggest Bust of the 00s". AOL News. Retrieved 5/5/2012.
- "NBA Restores Timberwolves' 2005 Draft Pick". NBA.com. Retrieved January 28, 2011.
- Dalembert was born in Haiti but grew up and spent his childhood in Canada, where he later became a citizen in 2007.
- "Michael Wright Stats - ESPN". Espn.go.com. 1980-01-07. Retrieved 2012-08-11.
- "Eric Chenowith Stats - ESPN". Espn.go.com. 1979-03-09. Retrieved 2012-08-11.
- "Kyle Hill Stats - ESPN". Espn.go.com. 1979-04-07. Retrieved 2012-08-11.
- "Ousmane Cisse Stats - ESPN". Espn.go.com. 1982-10-20. Retrieved 2012-08-11.
- "Andre Hutson Stats - ESPN". Espn.go.com. 1979-01-12. Retrieved 2012-08-11.
- "Maurice Jeffers Stats - ESPN". Espn.go.com. 1979-04-03. Retrieved 2012-08-11.
- "Bryan Bracey Stats - ESPN". Espn.go.com. 1978-08-05. Retrieved 2012-08-11.