From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
2001 in the Philippines details events of note that happened in the Philippines in 2001.
- January 16–20 – EDSA Revolution of 2001. Millions of people marched in the streets of EDSA for a peaceful protest against President Estrada for being accused of plunder.
- January 20 – Vice-President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo was sworn as the second female and the 14th President of the Philippines.
- Estrada was stepped down as the 13th President of the Philippines from his office in Malacañan Palace.
- March 9 – Noli de Castro steps down as anchorman of TV Patrol and is replaced by Korina Sanchez on Monday.
- April 4 – Estrada was arrested in San Juan following a protest by his supporters and detained at Camp Crame.
- April 22 – Dream Satellite TV launched as the country's first DTH satellite TV provider and commenced commercial services.
- May 1 – Estrada supporters attacked Malacañan Palace following a riot, killing many and several others were rounded up by the police.
- May 14 – Legislative and local elections were held nationwide.
- May 27 – Twenty tourists were taken hostage by the Abu Sayyaf terrorists in a popular island resort in Palawan, the 22 hostages were killed and the crisis lasted 12 months.
- November 7 – Actress Nida Blanca was killed in a parking lot in San Juan.