The 2002 Boston Red Sox season involved the Red Sox finishing 2nd in the American League East with a record of 93 wins and 69 losses.
- October 9, 2001: Craig Grebeck was released by the Boston Red Sox.
- December 21, 2001: Johnny Damon signed a four-year, $31 million contract to join the Boston Red Sox
- February 13, 2002: Rickey Henderson signed as a Free Agent with the Boston Red Sox.
Regular season 
- Pedro Martinez became the first player to win 20 games in one season but pitch less than 200 innings.
- Seven Red Sox players were voted on to the American League roster for the 2002 All Star Game played in Milwaukee, WI at Miller Park. Pitcher Derek Lowe, left fielder Manny Ramirez and third baseman Shea Hillenbrand started the game, while pitchers Pedro Martinez and Ugueth Urbina joined shortstop Nomar Garciaparra and outfielder Johnny Damon as reserves.
Rickey Henderson with Boston in 2002
Season standings 
- April 27, 2002: Wayne Gomes was signed as a Free Agent with the Boston Red Sox.
- June 26, 2002: Alan Embree was traded by the San Diego Padres with Andy Shibilo (minors) to the Boston Red Sox for Dan Giese and Brad Baker (minors).
- July 30, 2002: Cliff Floyd was traded by the Montreal Expos to the Boston Red Sox for Sun-Woo Kim and Seung Song (minors).
Opening Day Lineup 
Player stats 
Starters by position 
Note: G = Games played; AB = At Bats; H = Hits; Avg. = Batting Average; HR = Home Runs; RBI = Runs Batted In
Other batters 
Starting pitchers 
Other pitchers 
Relief pitchers 
Farm system 
- ^ http://www.baseball-reference.com/g/grebecr01.shtml
- ^ Great Baseball Feats, Facts and Figures, 2008 Edition, p.372, David Nemec and Scott Flatow, A Signet Book, Penguin Group, New York, NY, ISBN 978-0-451-22363-0
- ^ http://www.baseball-reference.com/g/gomeswa01.shtml
- ^ Alan Embree Statistics - Baseball-Reference.com
- ^ Cliff Floyd Statistics - Baseball-Reference.com
- ^ Johnson, Lloyd, and Wolff, Miles, ed., The Encyclopedia of Minor League Baseball, 3rd edition. Durham, N.C.: Baseball America, 2007