The 2002 NFL Draft was the procedure by which National Football League (NFL) teams selected amateur college football players. The draft is known officially as the "NFL Annual Player Selection Meeting" and has been conducted annually since 1936. The draft took place April 20–21, 2002 at the theater at Madison Square Garden. The draft was broadcast on ESPN both days and eventually moved to ESPN2. The draft began with the Houston Texans selecting David Carr, and it ended with the Texans selecting Mr. Irrelevant, Ahmad Miller. There were thirty-two compensatory selections distributed among eighteen teams, with the Buffalo Bills receiving the most selections with four. The University of Miami was the college most represented in the draft, having five of its players selected in the first round. Although the Carolina Panthers finished with a 1–15 record which would normally have given them the first pick in each round, the Houston Texans were given the first pick because they were an expansion team. The league also held a supplemental draft after the regular draft and before the regular season.
Player selections 
Supplemental draft selections 
For each player selected in the Supplemental Draft, the team forfeits its pick in that round in the draft of the following season.
Notable undrafted players 
In the explanations below, (D) denotes trades that took place during the draft, while (PD) indicates trades completed pre-draft.
Round one 
- ^ #6: Dallas → Kansas City (D). Dallas traded this choice to Kansas City for Kansas City's first- (#8), third- (#75) and 2003 sixth-round (#186) draft choices.[source 1]
- ^ #8: Kansas City → Dallas (D). see #6: Dallas → Kansas City[source 1]
- ^ #14: Tennessee → New York Giants (D). Tennessee traded this selection to the New York Giants for New Yorks's first- (#15) and fourth-round (#110) draft choices.[source 2]
- ^ #15: New York Giants → Tennessee (D). see #14: Tennessee → New York Giants[source 2]
Round two 
Round three 
Round four 
Round five 
Round six 
Round seven 
Trade references 
- ^ #1: Carr agreed to a contract with the Texans prior to the start of the draft.
External links