2002 New Year Honours
New Years' Honours are announced on or around the date of the New Year in Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the United Kingdom. The dates vary, both from year to year and from country to country. All are published in supplements to the London Gazette and many are conferred by the monarch (or her representative) some time after the date of the announcement, particularly for those service people on active duty.
This page lists those awards announced in the 2002 New Year's honours lists.
United Kingdom 
Knights Bachelor 
- Patrick John Armstrong, C.B.E., for services to the Police.
- John Lionel Beckwith, C.B.E., for services to Youth Sport.
- Albert Bore, leader of Birmingham City Council. For services to Local Government.
- Professor Richard John Brook, O.B.E., formerly chief executive of the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council. For services to Science and Engineering.
- Michael Sydney Buckley, parliamentary commissioner for Administration and Health Service commissioner for England, Wales and Scotland.
- Anthony Thomas Burden, Q.P.M., Chief Constable of South Wales Police. For services to the Police.
- de Vic Graham Carey, Bailiff of Guernsey. For services to the Crown.
- Professor Graeme Robertson Dawson Catto, for services to Medicine and to Medical Education.
- Timothy Peter Plint Clifford, Director-General of the National Galleries of Scotland. For services to the Arts.
- Professor Ronald Urwick Cooke, Vice-Chancellor of the University of York. For services to Higher Education.
- Professor Bernard Crick, for services to Citizenship in Schools and to Political Studies.
- Professor Liam Joseph Donaldson, Chief Medical Officer for England, Department of Health.
- Charles Brandon Gough, formerly chairman of the Review Body on Doctors' and Dentists' Remuneration. For public service.
- Nicholas Thomas Grimshaw, C.B.E., for services to Architecture.
- Iain Robert Hall, Headteacher of Parrs Wood Technology College, Manchester. For services to Education.
- Professor Gabriel Horn, F.R.S., for services to Neurobiology and to the Advancement of Scientific Research.
- Professor Ian McColl Kennedy, for services to Bioethics and to Medical Law.
- Ben Kingsley. Actor. For services to Drama.
- Terence Patrick Leahy, chief executive of Tesco plc. For services to Food Retailing.
- Professor Alistair George James MacFarlane, C.B.E., F.R.S., rector of UHI Millennium Institute. For services to Education.
- Graham John Melmoth, chief executive of Co-operative Group Ltd. For services to the Retail Industry.
- Edward Benjamin Crofton Osmotherly, C.B., formerly chairman of the Commission for Local Administration in England. For services to Local Government.
- Alan William Parker, C.B.E., film director and chairman of the Film Council. For services to the Film Industry.
- Robin Keith Saxby, executive chairman of ARM Holdings plc. For services to the Information Technology Industry.
- Professor Martin Nicholas Sweeting, O.B.E., F.R.S., chief executive of Surrey Satellite Technology Ltd and director of the Surrey Space Centre. For services to Microsatellite Engineering.
- Jimmy Leslie Ronald Young, C.B.E., for services to Radio Broadcasting.
Order of the Bath 
Knights Commander of the Bath (K.C.B.) 
- Edward George Caldwell, C.B., First Parliamentary Counsel, Parliamentary Counsel Office.
- John Michael Davies, Clerk of the Parliaments, House of Lords.
- Kevin Reginald Tebbit, C.M.G., permanent secretary in the Ministry of Defence.
Companions of the Bath (C.B.) 
- Ian David Fauset, executive director of the Defence Procurement Agency, Ministry of Defence.
- Timothy James Flesher, deputy chairman of HM Board of Inland Revenue.
- Jeremy John Heywood, principal private secretary to the Prime Minister.
- Roger de Lacy Holmes, chief executive and Deputy Master of the Royal Mint.
- Jeffrey Jacobs, executive director of Policy and Partnerships, Greater London Authority.
- Nicholas James Kroll, Corporate Services director of the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.
- Richard Hill Mackenzie, for public service.
- Ian Bernard Vaughan Magee, chief executive of the Court Service, Lord Chancellor's Department.
- Raymond Noel McAfee, director of the Regional Business Services, HM Board of Customs and Excise.
- George Alexander McCorkell, director of the Pensions Change Programme, Department for Work and Pensions.
- Kathryn Mary Stuart Morton, solicitor and director general of Legal Services, Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs.
- Jonathan Page Spencer, director general of Business Competitiveness, Department of Trade and Industry.
- Brian Arthur Edward Taylor, formerly director general of Civilian Personnel, Ministry of Defence.
Order of St Michael and St George 
Companions of St Michael and St George (C.M.G.) 
Royal Victorian Order 
Knights Commander of the Royal Victorian Order (K.C.V.O.) 
- Rear Admiral Patrick Barton Rowe, C.B.E., L.V.O., Deputy Master and chairman of the Corporate Board of the Corporation of Trinity House.
- Lt Col Robert Christie Stewart, C.B.E., T.D., formerly Lord Lieutenant of Clackmannanshire.
Commanders of the Royal Victorian Order (C.V.O.) 
- Peter Scott Dunn, L.V.O., for veterinary services in the Royal Mews.
- Arthur Michael Johnstone Galsworthy, C.B.E., D.L., former member of The Prince's Council, Duchy of Cornwall.
- John Eric Handcock, L.V.O., honorary secretary of The Prince Philip Trust Fund for the Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead.
- Malcolm Brian Johnston Kimmins, trustee of the Ascot Authority.
- Christopher Hamilton Lloyd, L.V.O., Surveyor of The Queen's Pictures.
- Kathrin Elizabeth Thomas, J.P., formerly chairman of The Prince's Trust (Cymru).
- Col Greville Wyndham Tufnell, lieutenant of The Queen's Body Guard of the Yeomen of the Guard.
Lieutenants of the Royal Victorian Order (L.V.O.) 
- Nicolas Clark Adamson, O.B.E., private secretary to The Duke of Kent.
- William Backhouse, formerly Treasurer of The King's Fund.
- Col Frederic Nicolas John Davies, J.P., D.L., secretary for Appointments and chief Clerk of the Duchy of Lancaster.
- Richard Laurence Day, M.V.O., R.V.M., J.P., Chief Bookbinder of the Royal Collection.
- The Honourable Elizabeth Anne Crowther-Hunt, formerly executive director of The Prince's Trust.
- The Most Hon. The Marquess of Lansdowne, former Member of The Prince's Council, Duchy of Cornwall.
- James Oliver McDonald, M.B.E., formerly vice-chairman of the Northern Ireland Council of The Prince's Trust.
- Jonathan Spencer, M.V.O., Deputy Comptroller of the Lord Chamberlain's Office.
- Michael Stevens, finance director of the Royal Collection.
- Douglas Leonard Warner, for surveying services to Sandringham House.
- Bridget Anne Wright, M.V.O., Bibliographer of the Royal Library.
Members of the Royal Victorian Order (M.V.O.) 
- Lt Col David Mitchell Anderson, O.B.E., Superintendent of the Palace of Holyroodhouse.
- Sgt Paul Leon Bazire, Royalty Protection Department, Metropolitan Police.
- John Dobson, Head Forester on the Balmoral Estate.
- Hazel Duddy, formerly head of the Royal Households Secretariat, Foreign and Commonwealth Office.
- Caroline Claire, comtesse de Guitauat, assistant to the director of the Royal Collection and Loans Officer.
- David Simon Hutson, Archivist to the Household of The Prince of Wales.
- Michael Robertson Hyde, finance director of Business in the Community.
- Cyril Arthur Littlewood, M.B.E., founder of the Young People's Trust for the Environment and Nature Conservation.
- Philippa Beris Leigh Norman, Chief Accountant in the Royal Household.
- Graham Paul Sharpe, property manager of Windsor Castle.
- Patrick William Avern Smart, special liaison manager of Jaguar Cars Limited.
- Douglas Stuart Wilson, formerly Bursar of Cumberland Lodge.
Royal Victorian Medal 
Bar to the Royal Victorian Medal (Silver) 
- John Alan Brown, RVM. Tractor Driver, Sandringham Estate.
John Collings, RVM. Head Chauffeur to Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother. David John Watts, RVM. Carpenter, Sandringham Estate.
Royal Victorian Medal (Silver) 
- Charles Victor Brewster, manager of the Stationery and Reprographic Unit, Royal Household.
- Ernest Dennis, Chief Steward to the Lieutenant-Governor of Ontario.
- Rosemarie Ethel Farnworth, Dresser to The Princess Royal.
- Desmond Fitzgerald, formerly Parks Worker on the Crown Estate, Windsor
- Gp. Capt. Nigel Wharmby O.B.E, Station Commander of Royal Air Force Cranwell.
- Constable Robert Nicholas Grieve, Royalty Protection Department, Metropolitan Police.
- Roderick Andrew Lane, deputy head Bookbinder of the Royal Collection.
- Lindsay Henderson Masson, Estate Worker on the Balmoral Estate.
- Michael Zalec Rasser, for hairdressing services to The Princess Royal.
- Edward Patrick Richards, Night Patrolman of Buckingham Palace.
- Ronald Ernest Russell, Craft Welder of the Crown Estate.
- Anthony Michael Rutty, formerly Chauffeur and General assistant on the Sandringham Estate.
- David Scrimgeour, Gamekeeper on the Balmoral Estate.
- Roy Stannett, Parks Worker, Crown Estate, Windsor.
- Graham Bernard Sutherland, B.E.M., Yeoman of the Royal Cellars, Royal Household.
- Michael John Andrew Wakeham, Gentleman of the Choir, The Queen's Chapel of the Savoy.
- Timothy John Williams, Head Chauffeur to The Prince of Wales.
Order of the Companions of Honour (C.H.) 
Order of the British Empire 
- Neville Cawas Cyrus Bardoliwalla, for services to Art. (London)
Knights Grand Cross of the British Empire (G.B.E.) 
- Sir Michael Sydney Perry, C.B.E., Chairman of the Senior Salaries Review Body. For public service.
- Sir Ronald Gough Waterhouse, for public service.
Knight Commander of the British Empire (K.B.E.) 
- Sir Mark Tully, Broadcaster and Author.
Dame Commander of the British Empire (D.B.E.) 
- Margaret Barbour, C.B.E., Chairman of J. Barbour and Sons Ltd., for services to Industry in North East England.
- Catherine Elizabeth Elcoat, Chief Nurse of University Hospital Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust. For services to Health Care.
- Professor Jessica Mary Rawson, C.B.E., for services to Oriental Studies.
- Sheila Ann Wallis, Headteacher of Davison High School for Girls, Worthing, West Sussex. For services to Education.
New Zealand 
Order of New Zealand (O.N.Z.) 
|Professor Alan Graham MacDiarmid||Pennsylvania, United States of America|
New Zealand Order of Merit 
Distinguished Companions of the New Zealand Order of Merit (D.C.N.Z.M.) 
|Mrs Lynley Stuart Dodd||Tauranga||For services to children's literature and book illustration|
|Mrs Margaret Mary Millard||J.P.||Palmerston North||For services to the rural community|
|Dr Peter George Snell||O.B.E.||Dallas, Texas, United States of America||For services to sport|
|The Right Honourable Edmund Walter Thomas||Q.C.||Auckland||For services as a Judge of the Court of Appeal|
Companions of the New Zealand Order of Merit (C.N.Z.M.) 
Officers of the New Zealand Order of Merit (O.N.Z.M.) 
Members of the New Zealand Order of Merit (M.N.Z.M.) 
Additional Officer of the New Zealand Order of Merit (O.N.Z.M.) 
|Wing Commander Carl Robert Nixon (G90074)||Royal New Zealand Air Force|
Additional Member of the New Zealand Order of Merit (M.N.Z.M.) 
|Warrant Officer Class One Peleti Mark Hunter||(M47805)||Royal New Zealand Infantry Regiment|
Honorary Officer of the New Zealand Order of Merit (O.N.Z.M.) 
|Moin Mohammed Fudda||Karachi, Pakistan||For services to New Zealand interests in Pakistan|
Honorary Members of the New Zealand Order of Merit (M.N.Z.M.) 
|Ms Margaretha Hendrika Johanna Stronks||Christchurch||For services to youth and the community|
|Professor Shunsuke Takahashi||Tokyo, Japan||For services to karate|
Queen's Service Order 
Companions of the Queen's Service Order for Community Service (Q.S.O.) 
Companions of the Queen's Service Order for Public Services (Q.S.O.) 
Queen's Service Medal for Community Service (Q.S.M.) 
Queen's Service Medal for Public Services (Q.S.M.)