2002 Oakland Athletics season
||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (February 2012)|
|2002 Oakland Athletics|
|2002 AL West Champions|
|Major League affiliations|
|Owner(s)||Stephen Schott & Kenneth Hofmann|
|General manager(s)||Billy Beane|
FSN Bay Area
(Ray Fosse, Greg Papa)
(Bill King, Ken Korach, Ray Fosse)
|Previous season Next season|
The Oakland Athletics' 2002 season featured the A's finishing 1st in the American League West with a record of 103 wins and 59 losses, despite losing three free agents to larger market teams: 2000 AL MVP Jason Giambi to the New York Yankees, outfielder Johnny Damon to the Boston Red Sox, and closer Jason Isringhausen to the St. Louis Cardinals. They are most notable for having set an American League record of winning 20 consecutive games between August 13 and September 4, 2002.
The 2002 team is prominently featured in the Michael Lewis book Moneyball: The Art of Winning an Unfair Game (as Lewis was given the opportunity to follow the team around throughout that season). A film adaptation of the book was released in 2011, also titled Moneyball.
- November 2, 2001: Mark Bellhorn was traded by the Athletics to the Chicago Cubs for Adam Morrissey (minors).
- December 14, 2001: David Justice was traded to the Athletics by the New York Mets for Mark Guthrie and Tyler Yates. This trade was preceded by a swap between the New York Mets and New York Yankees of Robin Ventura for Justice one week prior. 
- January 11, 2002: Randy Velarde was signed as a Free Agent with the Athletics.
- March 19, 2002: Justin Duchscherer was traded by the Texas Rangers to the Athletics for Luis Vizcaíno.
- June 4, 2002: Nick Swisher was drafted by the Oakland Athletics in the 1st round (16th pick) of the 2002 amateur draft. Player signed June 14, 2002.
- June 4, 2002: Joe Blanton was drafted by the Oakland Athletics in the 1st round (24th pick) of the 2002 amateur draft. Player signed July 20, 2002.
- June 4, 2002: Jared Burton was drafted by the Oakland Athletics in the 8th round of the 2002 amateur draft. Player signed June 12, 2002.
- May 22, 2002: John Mabry was traded by the Philadelphia Phillies to the Oakland Athletics for Jeremy Giambi
- July 30, 2002: Ricardo Rincón was traded by the Cleveland Indians to the Oakland Athletics for Marshall McDougall.
|2002 Oakland Athletics|
The A's lost 3-2 to the Twins in the 2002 American League Division Series
- Great Baseball Feats, Facts and Figures, 2008 Edition, p. 377, David Nemec and Scott Flatow, A Signet Book, Penguin Group, New York, ISBN 978-0-451-22363-0
- http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/trades.php?p=justida01. Missing or empty
- Nick Swisher Statistics - Baseball-Reference.com
- 2002 Oakland Athletics team page at Baseball Reference
- 2002 Oakland Athletics team page at www.baseball-almanac.com
- Johnson, Lloyd; Wolff, Miles, eds. (2007). The Encyclopedia of Minor League Baseball (3rd ed.). Durham, North Carolina: Baseball America. ISBN 978-1-932391-17-6.
|AL West Championship Season